Chapter 114

Chapter One Hundred and Fourteen

Beach.

I was on the beach again.

I blinked slowly, confusedly, as the buzzing surrounded me, as if a million swarms of bees were flying around my ears. I couldn't move. I was frozen solid, terrified, heart pounding, naked and vulnerable as something hot touched me, leaving a burning trail against my spine. Like a knife, it raked up my back until it hit the back of my head.

I also noticed two hands holding mine this time, two hands I couldn't see.

The burning against my mark grew painful as pressure was added, digging in.

I wanted to cry out, to ask whoever was hurting me why they were doing so, to stop it, but my mouth wouldn't move, my body wouldn't twitch, I could only stand there staring off into the infinite waters of eternity, so dark and still that I couldn't tell where it ended and the sky began.

The acidic pressure on the back of my neck suddenly and abruptly stopped.

A voice that wasn't really a voice whispered eerily behind the buzzing.

"There it is."

My eyes snapped open as a flood of something went through me and I sat up without thinking, hair flying forward and falling in my face. I heaved for air, dazedly drinking in the sun dappled leaves fluttering above me in the chilly morning air. I glanced to my left, blankly, staring at the early morning sun hovering just below the tree line, trying to make sense of everything.

Frosted dew drops rolled down blades of grass as I sat naked in the dirt.

"What is this shit?" I whispered, burying my face in my hands and trying to clear the freakish dream out of my head, without much success. I sat there for a bit longer, just trying to get my bearings, until soft snores met my ears and I finally registered the warmth against me.

I raised my eyes, dropping my hands to see Luka snuggled up against me with one arm thrown over my belly and his legs threaded through mine, snoring with his mouth open and drool leaking down across his soft brown goatee.

I stared at him, then looked at his cloven hooves, which were touching mine from his position, a stark contrast of kempt and overgrown that made me flinch a little. My hooves were untrimmed, overgrown, and looked rather warped compared to his perfectly groomed cloven toes.

Similarly, my fur was disheveled and clumped while his was sleek and glossy. It was at the very last possible second that I realized the sun was actually up. The full moon was over, meaning that I'd slept clean through my second transformation.

That's the second time I've done that, I silently muttered, taking note of it. Maybe I should talk to Rogar and see if its normal to feel so fatigued... once I'm better, that is.

It wouldn't do much good to ask that since I was sick with that unknown fairy thing.

I sighed, mentally preparing myself to get up, but just as I was about to start moving Luka suddenly made a small gurgling sound and I flicked my ears, cocking my head at him as a weird crooked smile crossed his lips, followed by a very sleepy, very wet giggle. I goggled at him, startled by the weird sound, but after about thirty seconds he smacked his lips, audibly swallowed, and his face smoothed out, normal sleep-breathing resuming.

Well. Okay then.

"Luka," I murmured, reaching out to him and gently rubbing his right ear, threading the softness of his svelte fur under my thumb with gentle strokes. "Hey... Luka, its morning."