Chapter 177

Chapter One Hundred and Seventy-Seven

Wokka didn't ask me any questions on the long walk back to my room.

Part of me figured he didn't need to since he could literally use his brain to poke around inside mine without needing to speak, but regardless, I wasn't sure what to think or even how I was going to explain to everyone else what had just happened to me. I mean, I'd literally just ridden on the back of a huge, wild albino deer belonging to elvish royalty--I'd lived the experience and I was doubting whether or not it had been a real thing.

I was mentally stuck.

Wok, at least, had been waiting for me on the other side of the mirror with the stuffed, handcrafted deer plushie he'd made for me clasped in his arms, just like he'd promised he'd be. He'd handed the toy to me without a word and had waved me along before scampering down the hall without a word. The silence was what killed me, though, since it gave me way too much time to think and stress about the repercussions of my actions. 

I'd just shamed and embarrassed a member of royalty who was likely older than everyone I currently knew, supernatural or otherwise, combined. Sebastian would surely blow a blood vessel over it once he found out about the details... or maybe he'd be grateful?

Sylias had told me he'd apologize to Sebastian, too.

After about ten silent and mentally overwhelming minutes of blindly plodding my way down the seemingly endless root hall behind the skittering pooka, I nervously cleared my throat. I saw the little imp's long ears flick at the sound; the tip of his tail twitched.

"Hey, Wok?" I tentatively prodded. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, Honored Guest," he called back in a pleasant tone, not slowing down. "You may ask me anything you wish."

I made a face. "Um... well, for starters, could you not call me Honored Guest?"

At this, he did stop, righting himself from all fours so he could turn around.

"Have I offended?" he asked, blank-faced. "Is the title not grand enough?"

"Oh, no!" I blurted out, waving my hands in protest. "You haven't offended me or insulted me, nothing like that, it's just... I dunno, it's too grand? I mean, I'm... not actually an honored guest, I'm here because I'm related to an extremely unpleasant situation. You can just call me by my name... okay? There's no need to be so formal with me."

"It's inappropriate for an attendant to act informally with guests of any sort," Wok said in a calm and pleasant tone. "My duty for the duration of your stay in our realm is to make sure that all your needs and wants are met. Master Rahn referred to you as the most important guest coming to us for the trial, because you are whom we need to pay close attention to."

"Okay... I get it," I muttered, lowering my eyes to the floor. "Thanks for listening, at least."

I guess I'll just have to try not to think too much, I silently mulled. I'm not an honored guest or anything special... I'm just a guy. A weird goat-legged guy who also happens to be a werewolf, yeah, but still... a guy. I'm nothing like the people down here, I'm not royalty.

I began to walk again but stopped when I realized the imp hadn't moved. I lifted my head a little and frowned when I realized he was still staring at me.

"I suppose if informality is something you want and need," Wokka said bemusedly, "then I can oblige you. As long as you are willing to explain to any who may ask about my conduct that you are the one who requested my informal behavior."