Chapter 150

Chapter One Hundred and Fifty

I was glad that I'd been given one of my dad's cars to get around.

Technically, it was actually a vehicle that had once belonged to Sebastian, but meh, Bash had hundreds of vehicles from nearly every single era hidden in the huge parking garage beneath the manor's entire property line. Either way, it made my life a hell of a lot easier.

I spotted multiple people riding bikes with backpacks on, and many people were walking to the Benson Center, but there were also a multitude of fancy cars driving down the winding campus road with me. I drummed my fingers on the wheel in anticipatory excitement.

Not even the headache smacking against my brain could bring me down.

My phone suddenly started ringing in the electrical charger-slash-holder on the dash, and after a split-second glance at the screen, I tapped the accept button that had been conveniently built into the steering wheel. Audio abruptly filled the speakers of the car as the call went through.

"Hello?" I asked, eyes on the road. "I'm in the middle of driving right now. Who's calling?"

"Hey, Horst, it's Kip," my friend chuckled, and I blinked, immediately remembering with a flash that he'd promised to come over last night. "You got a second to talk?"

"Yeah," I confirmed, making a face. "Also... sorry if you came over looking for me last night. A lot happened and I wound up making a breakthrough with myself. I... I also feel like... we should talk. You, me, and Erika--"

"Actually, that's why I'm calling! I was thinking the same thing," he exclaimed, surprised. "I came over to your place last night with her, but you weren't there. Echo, on the other hand, let us in and we talked with him for a while. Got to know him and stuff, and... well, we miss you, dude."

My nostrils flared and my ears drooped, because the truth was, I missed them, too.

"Let's hang out today," I sighed, drumming my fingers on the steering wheel; I made a turn based on my memory and kept going. "I haven't... been in a good headspace lately, and to be fair, I think maybe I've been a bad friend to you guys. I mean, I told you to make an effort and stuff if you wanted me to stick around, but I haven't been reciprocating. I just... I dunno."

"Hey, don't sweat it," Kip laughed. "Friends fight sometimes! And that's okay! I'm actually calling to let you know that Kat, Erika, and I will all be waiting for you in the Benson Center's main Cafeteria around four thirty."

"Okay, cool. I'll find my way there."

Also, the other reason I'm calling is because Dylan tried to hit Erika and she broke his nose."

Wait, what?!

My blood turned icy and cold. And yet, it boiled simultaneously.

"He did what?" I demanded. "Please tell me you're joking."

"Yeah, I wish I was," he sourly muttered. "He started yelling at her in front of a huge ass group of people that she needed to stop hanging out with faggots like you and me and she got steamed, dude! She went into demon-witch ginger lady mode and turned redder than her hair. She screamed right back in his face that he has no right to dictate who she's--ah! Ri, wait--"

I scowled when a scuffle happened over the phone; then I heard her breathing.

Hard.

"Hey," Erika greeted rather hoarsely. "So, you were right. Dylan and I are done."