Chapter 156

Author's Note: Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

_____

Chapter One Hundred and Fifty Six

I awoke to the jarring sensation of being shaken.

"Horst, get up. It's time to go, so you need to hurry up and get dressed," Aerin said as my eyes creaked open. His beautiful face came into focus with a painful snap; the light above was shining brightly and I cringed since it was blinding. "We have to get on the road before the sun is fully up! I'm the one driving us there, and as you know, the sun and I don't mix."

I moaned at him, but beside me lay a distinct lack of warmth. I sat up, stretched my arms high above my head, cracked my neck, flapped my ears and yawned, big and wide.

"Time?" I asked, bleary from lack of sleep; confusion made waking up even harder. "What time is it, Aerin? I feel even sleepier than before I zonked out."

"It's four in the morning."

"Four?" I croaked. "But... it's saturday..."

"Exactly. It's the twenty-third. If we hurry we can get to Crystal Lake and get situated in the cabins before the sun is fully up," he informed me. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and set my unkempt hooves on the ground, scratching my belly. "Where are your bags?"

"Bags?" I stupidly asked, peeling my eyes open to stare at him blankly. "What bags...?"

"Didn't you pack?" he questioned, looking rather shocked. "Horst, I assumed you already had some stuff thrown into a suitcase!"

"Wha... oh... aw, shit!" I cursed, finally snapping awake. "Fucknuggets on a stick!"

Leave it to me to realize at the very last possible second that I literally hadn't packed anything up for a weekend trip. I instantly lurched out of bed and stumbled past Aerin to make my way into my bedroom. I caught a glimpse of Luka and Dari turning to stare at me from their spot in the hall, looking like a couple of big-eared deer in my peripherals, but I ignored them and made my way over to my dresser, digging around for some fresh clothes to wear.

I shucked my pajamas just as Aerin came to the door, looking rather worried.

"So, you didn't?" he questioned.

"Nope, I'm a major dumbass," I groaned, eliciting a sigh. "I literally didn't pack anything."

"Well, to save time, you might want to put your hoodie on normally?" he snorted, and I paused, glancing down and immediately scowling. I had nearly put the oversized lime green sweatshirt on backwards; I flipped it around on my arms, then dragged it over my head and wriggled to get my horns through, then I ran my fingers through my hair in an attempt to get it to calm down from its bedheaded state. My curls flopped across my eyes and totally obscured my vision.

Aerin giggled.

"Dude, shut up," I complained. "I need to pack."

I was half expecting to wind up holding everyone back for a good twenty minutes while I rushed around trying to gather clothes and necessities, but to my sleepy surprise, Echo walked into my my room wearing a new pair of jeans with a normal-looking black t-shirt and opened my closet.

I stopped and stared with my mouth hanging open as he pulled two massive suitcases out.

He dropped them on the floor with a soft grunt, then gave me a smug smile.

"Don't worry, I packed for both of us," he said simply, then slyly added, "and I even threw in some normal-looking clothes for Luka, Sasha, and Dari while you took your nap last night."