Chapter 115

Author's note: sick with corona again. Also, there's a semi-lemon near the end. Read at your own risk.

__________

Chapter One Hundred and Fifteen

Echo was buried under blankets and pillows when I finally crawled into bed beside him and flopped down, propping my head on my palm and elbow. I watched the rise and fall of the blankets with his breathing, but I could tell from his scent that he was wide awake.

I reached out after a second and tried to pull the blankets down, but he dug himself further and hid himself from me. A flash of guilt hit my stomach and my ears drooped a little.

I really hadn't been giving him much attention lately.

I'd been so focused on myself and my own issues and my own despair that I hadn't even been considering him or his still-developing feelings as much as I should've. If I really thought about it... my self destructive behavior as of late had been the most toxic sort of thing a lover could do.

I'd been a bad boyfriend.

Time to try changing and fixing it, I thought, scooting closer and pulling the blanket down, revealing matted black hair. His eyes were closed and his face was lax, but I saw his cheek twitching and I could hear how forced his breathing sounded.

"I know you're awake," I murmured, dragging my claws through his long hair.

"No," Echo muttered, hoarse with sleep. "I am sleeping. Deeply sleeping."

I couldn't help the faint smile that quirked my lips, cutting through the ache within me.

"Liar," I softly murmured, rolling out of bed so I could shed my clothes. Once I was completely nude, I lifted the covers and slid beneath them. Echo's eyes flew open and he blinked at me, streaks of red receding as I straddled his hips and pushed him onto his back. We looked at each other as I settled down, skin against skin, flesh against fur, feet against hooves.

Cheeks began to turn pink and he tilted his head, studying my face.

"What are you doing?" he quipped. "I am asleep, remember?"

"Who was it that demanded there be no lies?" I quietly teased, leaning down and booping our noses together. I nuzzled him, staring at those attentive eyes. "You can't lie, remember?"

He blinked, lashes dusting mine, but to my shock his head moved and his lips caught mine. I jumped, ears snapping out as he kissed me, but all too soon I melted into it and kissed him back, cupping his cheek with one hand as sparks and warmth flooded through my lips.

Soft hands touched my belly and dug into my hips, holding me against him.

I finally pulled back and broke the moment, fighting for air, face flushed. His lips lifted into a languid smile, showing off the tips of his fangs in a seductive, predatory way.

"Keep it up and you might succeed in waking me," he noted, and a soft pink tongue flicked out to swipe across his right fang. I felt stirring in my groin and he wagged his eyebrows. "Or, more likely, I might succeed in waking you, first."

"You're really turning into a pervert," I chuckled, and his face went slack, eyes snapping to my mouth and then my eyes. I drew back a bit as the air suddenly changed, and then he was wriggling to get his hands free of the blankets. I jumped when he clutched my cheeks.

"You smiled," he said, staring at me. "You just smiled and laughed."

"Y... yeah?" I proffered, raising an eyebrow. "You kind of have that effect on me."