Chapter 85

Chapter Eighty Five

Darryl, Echo, Raph, and I were all engaged in a very intense game of Virtual Mario Kart 5 when my father finally showed up. It was primarily because I was determined to win that I didn't hear my phone going off, or even really notice when he walked into the apartment.

To be fair, though, not even Raph or Darryl noticed, and they had super hearing.

"HA! Eat my banana peel, biiiiitch!" I yodeled, cackling as Raph went spiraling off the insanely looping road and fell to his abysmal doom, putting me into first place. "How you like that?"

"Fuckin' bitch, I'ma get that spot," Raph snapped, mashing his controller buttons. 

"Aw, why?" I teased. "You're playing Diddy Kong! I thought monkeys liked bananas!" 

"Says the one playing the talking mushroom!" Raphael snarled. "Snarky lil' bitch! C'mere!"

"Naw, I think I like being in first place," I mocked, not even bothering to try hiding how hard my stupid little tail was thumping against the black leather couch cushion.

"I apologize in advance, then," Echo said blankly. "Peach is a princess and deserves the trophy."

I blinked when I heard a sudden beeping noise that began to increase in speed.

I broke out into a cold sweat.

"Echo... you didn't," I breathed. "You didn't!"

"Oh, but I did," he droned. "I will be stealing your spot of glory and claiming victory."

I let out a cry as I was hit with a Bullet Bill right before I hit the finish line. Princess Peach zoomed right past me, stealing first place

"Dammit!" I cursed, laughing in frustration as my poor little Toadstool flipped three times. "God dammit! Well, at least there's second place--"

"Not today, Fungus Head!" Raph cackled, sliding right past me into second place, but not before hitting me with a banana peel and further preventing me from moving for another six seconds, which allowed Darryl to slide by as Luigi. "Haha! Payback's a bitch, ain't it?!"

"Aw, fuck off!" I groaned, shaking my head as I came in fourth--and last--place. "I'll get you guys next match, watch me!"

I was about to start up another round when I heard a familiar laugh. "This is a pleasant sight."

I immediately took my headset off and swiveled, spotting my dad leaning against the island counter, arms folded, staring at his phone screen with amusement lining his features. 

"Pop!" I exclaimed, surprised. "Why didn't you let us know you were here?"

"I did," he snorted, raising his eyes; he opened his mouth, all smiles, then seemed to pause. He raised an eyebrow, scanning me up and down, then continued, "you were the one who didn't respond to me telling you that I was here."

"Well, that was my bad," I said, hastily getting up. "I didn't hear you come in."

"I see," my dad said, then waved a hand. "No matter. Sebastian's entire pack and several guests are waiting on us back at the manor. We need to get going."

"Right," I muttered, setting my controller down and moving over to Echo; he blinked at me after I took his holorift headset off but relaxed when I kissed him. Tingles went through my lips and I shivered, pulling back to look at the red receding from his pretty almond eyes. "I gotta go now, Echo... but we'll be back to get you in like two or three days. Until then, rest, alright?"