Chapter 64

Author's Note: I pushed myself a little harder than I should have to get this chapter out today but I promise it was for a good reason. Happy birthday ambermoon3105! This one's for you!

____________

Chapter Sixty Four

I was expecting Echo to be either sleeping or sitting in bed clacking away at his computer. Of course, he had a weird way of catching me off guard, so it shouldn't have come as such a surprise when I returned to my apartment only to hear voices on the other end. I listened, fingers on the handle, to what sounded like him and Kat Sanchez talking to each other.

Curious, I headed inside my home, moving as quietly as my body would allow.

"I still think this one's the better option," Kat suddenly said, making me freeze mid-step. "I mean, sure, the pictures make the second set look good, but it says its made of nylon, which rips really easily. It'd be a waste of cash in my opinion."

"Why does it say it is durable if it is so easily damaged?" Echo blankly inquired. "That is false marketing if what you say is true. I do not understand the logic."

"Well, nylon as a whole is very easily damaged," Kat murmured, and I heard a few clicks coming from somewhere in the living room. "They're probably just trying to advertise that its more durable than other brands. Its still flimsy, of course, but maybe its a little stronger."

"Ah. I get it. This is the same tactic that humans employ when comparing fecal paper and absorbant napkins to other companies who also craft them," he said, and I had to cover my mouth to muffle a snort. "Well, if you believe the polyester, cotton, and spandex socks would be the better buy, I will purchase them now and have them delivered. I thank you for your guidance on this."

"No problem," Kat said confidently. "I think its cute you want to dress nice for Horst."

My whole face burned when she said that and I had to resist the urge to walk into my living room and ask what she was talking about. She sounded dead serious, and yet at the same time, she was also interested in me... or, maybe I was wrong about that? Maybe she'd already moved on.

"I want him to be mine," Echo said with a hint of fire in his tone. "I want him to look at me and feel all things that procure romantic embraces and hugs and cuddles. I realized today that I did not know there was a difference between platonic gestures and romantic ones so I studied it."

"Oh?" Kat inquired, sounding rather amused. "Then, do you think you're ready to have him?"

"I do not know," he replied, blank, but then there was a pause. "However... when I saw him hugging someone today, it made me... angry, I believe. I did not enjoy the sight of him holding someone else, it made my chest and stomach tighten. However, when they both corrected me, I... I still had trouble holding my tongue. I know that I am only just learning about emotion, but Horst... he's special."

"Yeah, he is," she softly agreed, letting loose a sigh; my ears bobbed when the leather creaked and I carefully leaned back against the wall, folding my arms. "I honestly like him, but I think you have a better chance at being with him than I do. I mean, you're a vampire, right?"

"Yes," he confirmed, and I felt my lips twitch into a smile. "I am a shifter and mistwalker, both... but I do not understand why that means I have a better chance at being with him."

"Its because I'm human," she quietly explained, sounding rather sad. "You guys pretty much live forever, but normal people don't. I've been thinking about a lot of stuff lately, and yeah, I know how I feel about Horst and what I want from him, but I don't think he likes me very much."