Chapter 79

Chapter Seventy Nine

I was standing in a void of nothing, eyes closed, drifting as if I were underwater, head lolling and arms outstretched. I could see ripples in the nothingness beneath me, ripples of violet that seemed to branch out and fade like luminescent rings. I could see them through my closed eyes, could see them in my mind even as I hovered in a space as vast and as small as the universe.

Infinite... peace.

My mind expanded and I felt the caress of something living and gold running through me, rushing through my heart and soul and vibrating me. Ripples of violet began to approach, disturbed under the footsteps of someone who was roaming here, through the dark. I saw him coming closer, saw the flash of sapphire belying his eyes, saw the feral beast that lay there.

Every part of me knew this sensation, this insignificance while in the presence of a predator a thousand times more dangerous than myself, as if my life were nothing more than a speck beneath his gaze... every part of me screamed dragon in capital letters, but oddly, I wasn't afraid.

His body took shape, human and tan and littered with scars... bare feet with long claws... broad chest with fine black hair trailing down to his pubic region, where a tangle of glossy black curls lay. His manhood, large and flaccid and impressive with how it swung, completely ignored.

Through my closed eyes, where I stood immobile in the dark, I saw his face, saw the glow of his serpentine eyes as he walked right up to me and stopped. His long, unbound hair lay in tendrils across his shoulders and chest and his bushy black brows were furrowed angrily. With his square jaw clenched, he reached out to me, grazing my cheek with his claws. He leaned in close.

Warm lips came against my ear.

"Mercy," Huang whispered, tickling my fur.

He said nothing else, although his hands did graze my shoulders and chest. He looked hungry and angry and pained, in a weird way, staring at me, and yet I couldn't move. I floated back under his influence, sinking into the dark, and I swore he looked like he was going to cry.

A thought bubbled up.

'Why do you look so sad, Huang?'

To my surprise, he drew his hand back, looked away from me, and with a flash of green light, a golden dragon was suddenly looming over me, massive head craning down. A warm tongue flicked against the side of my face and he snorted smoke at me, massive tail curling around my body. I was slowly wrapped up like a cocoon and the golden dragon lay his head beside me. One baleful blue eye gazed at me through slit pupils.

"It is not time," Huang uttered, voice echoing all around. "Do not ask questions I cannot answer. I should not even be doing this. Just... stay."

Wonder bubbled through me.

'Stay where? Where are we?'

The dragon said nothing else, simply closed his only visible eye and nestled that massive head closer to my horns, curling even more tightly around my body. He blew a puff of smoke through his nostrils and I floated with him, for a time, comforted by the warmth of his scaly body.

It was strange how at peace I felt.

It could have been minutes, or hours, but I began to drift away from him.

"Horst..."

I saw his head raise as he faded, saw him watching, saw the way the long whiskers extending from his muzzle drooped... but the very last thing I saw was Huang setting his head back down and curling up.