Chapter 84

Chapter Eighty Four

I flinched out of my sleep when a harsh glare landed on my face, accompanied by a cheerful laugh. 

"Wake up, Sleepyhead! Would you like some breakfast?"

Who the hell...? I sleepily wondered, tossing my arm over my eyes to block the glare. God... I'm so tired...

And then I sniffed, catching the mouth-watering smell of bacon and french toast.

"Come on, you know you want it! It's Raph's famous french toast, piled on top of my own pancake-wrapped cheese and bacon sandwiches! It's really good!"

I rolled over and buried my face in my pillow with a noncommittal moan.

"Sorry, what? I don't speak mumble."

My temper spiked and I finally rolled over, blinking at the light bulb overhead with bleary eyes.

Echo's room was much too bright for my sleepy eyes to take. I groggily blinked myself awake, surprised to see Darryl's smiling face in front of my own, chin on the mattress, blonde lashes lowered as he reached out and poked my cheek again with a gentle claw.

"Too early and too cheerful," I mumbled as I sat up, rubbing my eyes. "What time is it?" 

"It's about eleven in the morning," he said, lowering his arm with a friendly stare. "Jak will be here in about an hour to drive us to Sebastian's place."

"Right," I muttered, rubbing my face, "its the eleventh--"

I stopped when I realized Echo wasn't in bed beside me and looked around, startled.

"Oh, Echo's already up." Darryl helpfully supplied. "Raph helped him out into the living room to play some video games together while they talked. It's been pretty interesting to watch."

"Uh, what?" I asked in a gummy tone, immediately confused. Even though I was tired and barely able to think, I was still able to notice as clear as day how bizarre that sounded. "Why? I thought Raph was pissed at Echo... and me, too, actually."

Darryl's eyes flashed and he started stimming a little with his hands, digging his pointer claw into the flesh between his thumb. It was a clear sign he was uncomfortable. My traitorous stomach chose that moment to growl like a starved wildebeest, interrupting the moment.

"Sounds like someone's hungry! C-come eat breakfast," he finally blurted, rising to his feet and waving his hand. "If you don't its gonna get cold."

"Uh, yeah," I said absently, stifling another yawn. "Sure."

He hastily retreated and vanished from the room and I got up, stretching my body and cracking my neck. I yawned so wide my jaw popped and I sniffed, lifting the front of my hoodie and tiredly scratching at an itch on my belly before snagging my phone off the nightstand. I looked through my texts as I headed over to my room and saw a few from Kip.

Basic stuff, like how I was doing, how my day was going.

Nothing from Erika, although oddly, I did have a missed call from her older sister, Nikki.

I raised an eyebrow at that and started an audio call, tucking the phone beneath my ear as I dug around in my dresser for some pants. Just as I was about to snag a comfy pair of jeans my eyes fell across some baggy shorts I liked to wear at home and a shocking but exciting idea hit me.

None of the guys in my pack, outside of my father, knew I was capable of using glamour. If I could pull off casting that freaky disguise spell Yuma taught me again, I could put some shorts on and freak out Darryl and maybe even Raph, too. I smirked to myself and snagged them, listening to the endless ringing on the other end of the phone.