Chapter 38

Chapter Thirty-Eight

I finally began to understand what Aerin was so worried about when Echo had two more seizures within a ten minute span, so long and violent that it was almost impossible to dry him off, and during one of them he kicked me in the face.

Only once I was sure he'd stopped did I sit him on the toilet. He asked me what was wrong with him, and I told him that he was experiencing side effects of the cure, but... he didn't even hear it.

Why?

Because he fainted. He flat out passed out while sitting fully upright, head lolled to the side, hands in his lap.

"Seriously?" I cursed, cocking an eyebrow in perplexity. "Now?"

No response from him, just even breathing as he began to slump. In an oddly morbid way, it was an extremely funny sight for me--seriously, who the hell falls asleep sitting on a toilet?

But still... mostly, I was just worried about him. I carefully dried him off and kept a clinical mindset, even when lifting him up and drying his legs and bottom and even his groin. He didn't so much as twitch when I set him back down. I poked his cheek and his head rolled bonelessly, flopping forward, ears all droopy.

"Hey, wake up," I murmured to the unconscious vampire, but he didn't move an inch.

I poked his arm: nothing.

Shook him: nothing.

Pinched his ear: nothing.

Damn, I thought, whistling. He's out cold.

I stood up and grabbed my boxers, haphazardly dragging them on and stringing my tail through the hole. I glanced at my bloodied, shredded shirt and decided to leave it for the time being. I'd grab it later since there was only one thing I could carry, and that was going to be Echo.

Leaning down, I slid my hand beneath his knees and braced his back, scooping the down and out vampire into my arms. Much to my surprise he was heavier than I remembered. It took me so off guard that I glanced down at his dangling head with wide eyes.

Oh... he's nothing but dead weight, that's why, I eventually realized, shifting my grip to move his head up and pillow it against my shoulder. Everyone weighs more when they're dead weight.

I looked at the damp fur covering his face for a second, wondering if he was okay. Worries plagued my mind as I left the bathroom and walked through the dark hallways, but I thankfully had no need for light since my night vision was perfect. Perks of being a werewolf.

Fortunately, Sebastian, Aerin, and my dad had all left by the time we made it back to the room so there was nobody to bug me as I carried him over to the bed. With a single movement, I pulled back the covers, gently set him down, and tugged them back up over his body. I took one last glance at the unconscious fluff ball before turning to go, fully intending to leave.

"Wo... bu hui zai..." Echo mumbled, startling me, "shībàile, zhuren..."

For a second, I seriously thought he was speaking in tongues or some other bullshit, but when I looked down at him I saw that he was still completely out of it. I heard him mumble something else and couldn't quite understand it. For a second, I hesitated, but curiosity got the best of me and I leaned in close to the furry asshole's face in the hopes of understanding what he was saying.

"Qing... buyao chengfa... wo..." he mumbled, speaking a language I did not understand at all. "Yu... nin di xingjiao... shanghai... wo..."

"Echo?" I asked, furrowing my brows, since it sounded bizarre to me, but the dialect was kinda Asian. "You awake?"

I received no answer from him, not even a twitch, just more nonsensical mumbling and sleep breathing.