Chapter 44

Chapter Forty Four

I spent the next five days very simply.

Each morning began with a wake up call by Aerin, who came into the room to take Echo's vitals at regular intervals and always informed me that breakfast was ready, which I would instantly get up for. After eating, I would help wash the dishes afterward, and then I'd seek my father out and convince him to go on a walk with me around the manor's grounds outside.

He seemed grateful for the attention I was lavishing on him but I knew he wasn't okay--his body language, his eyes, his face, smell, and demeanor all gave away that he was struggling with the idea of me leaving home for the first time. He didn't say anything about it, but I could tell he was messed up.

Huang, of course, was doing a perfect job playing the bad guy to everyone.

When his parents had finally arrived things had happened just as he'd said they would--Feng-Feng and Rak had taken one look at everyone and been startled and somewhat perturbed, even though they hid it well. Yes, they acted like they were pissed at him but it wasn't at all as harsh as the packs wanted it to be.

His brothers, on the other hand... yeah, they were just as vengeful as he'd said they would be.

Jiao was ignoring him completely and pretending he didn't exist, which was extreme for someone as happy-go-lucky as him, and Fucang had very nearly beaten the living shit out of him. He'd screamed at Huang for hours about living with honor and boundaries and how disgusted he was with his behavior.

Shen was the only one who didn't really behave any differently, but I'd caught him watching me a few times during meals. It hurt my heart to do nothing and made me miserable.

Tiffany, of course, had gone back to her cabin up in the mountains with Woody after making sure I was okay. They still had stuff they needed to do with the horses. Most of the guys from my pack ended up going back out to help with the aftermath of Hurricane Olga.

Things were still wrecked and probably would be for months. I'd heard good things about people coming back to try and rebuild their lives, but from what I'd heard it was going to be years before it happened. Granted, I hadn't seen any of the destruction for myself since I hadn't been watching the news.

Or been looking at things online.

Or gone past the front gates.

Not since the whole incident with the house coming down on top of me. A part of me was scared to leave the house even though I knew, rationally, that I wasn't in danger anymore.

The most I did was go on walks with my dad. Most of the debris on the grounds had been cleared up, but the damage to the huge, ancient trees lining the mile-long driveway was extensive and clearly visible. I was more impressed that they'd stayed standing under the force of the wind--especially after getting hit by lightning.

There were charred branches near the tops of three of them, showing clear lightning damage.

Lunch never really took very long to rear its head during our walks, and once I ate I typically just showered, changed my clothes, and went back to Echo's room for some relaxation and spending quality time with him. The vampire tended to get a little antsy when I was gone for too long.

I figured it was separation anxiety or something, but I didn't know.

After lazing about and dozing and thinking about my next move once I was in an apartment, Diana would come get me for dinner, and I would then tell Echo to bite me. He didn't need blood on quite the same sort of regular basis that Aerin did but I'd been told that letting him take my blood would deepen the bonds necessary for me to coach him on his feelings.