Chapter 1

Chapter One

It all began back on June 5th, the year 2073.

In short, the summer my life really began.

That morning, I was hanging out by myself on our private beach, lying completely flat, arms behind my head, basking in the feeling of the hot sun warming my skin and the sand beneath outstretched legs, warm ocean water licking my hooves and soaked body fur. Summer had hit us somewhat early on and the North Carolina air was already hot, humid, and gloriously breezy.

Wedged between my fingers was the delicate stem of a buttery yellow dandelion.

I blinked at the sky, then pulled the sweet-smelling plant back out, looking at it. Soft yellow petals as round and vibrant as the sun fluttered in the oceanic breeze. Sea spray peppered me as the water roared across the sand, and yet... I was transfixed by the little yellow flower. It was so small and pretty... looking at it made me think of Aerin, because it was like a miniature sunflower and those were his favorites, but mostly, it made me think of myself.

I stared at the beautiful petals through my lashes, then pinched the golden head of it off, right at the base. It fluttered away, blowing across the sand, and I sighed, basking in the wind.

A fruit fly zeroed in on my right ear so I flicked it rapidly, wrinkling my nose until it took the hint and buzzed the fuck off. I pushed my curly mop back off my forehead and carefully smoothed the fine coating of hair on my ears afterwards, making sure it was lying flat and neat and sleek.

It had taken me a long time to accept the aspects of myself that weren't entirely werewolf.

My annoyingly long and hairy ears, my bizarre leg anatomy, my hooves, my rectangular pupils, and most of all, my horns. It had been a struggle to accept myself, to accept what I was and why I was the way I was, and even now I wrestled with my self-confidence.

I was two halves of different species, different instincts, different lives.

Inside, I had all the strength and anger and volatile viciousness of a predator. The strength, the irritability, the speed, and quick temper... but I had the body of a creature most supernaturals in this world considered prey. My eyes were like a flag... instead of cat-slit pupils, I got stuck with rectangular, like a goat... because goats needed to see if and when predators were coming.

But I wasn't alone.

Even as I lay there, listening to the rushing of the ocean lapping the shore, I could only smile.

I wasn't alone.

"Hey! Fluffy Butt!" a familiar high-pitched voice exclaimed, and my traitorous heart did a violent flip. I tilted my head back just as a familiar beautiful face with wild freckles and long red hair moved into my line of vision. "I thought you were gonna wait for me to get here! You ass!"

"Erika!" I exclaimed, instantly trying to sit up, but before I could she threw something at my face and it exploded. I sputtered and let out a squawk, coughing the water out of my nose and eyes as a piece of what felt like rubber flopped onto my lap. I blinked and poked the busted balloon, then twisted and gave her a scowl. "Really? A water balloon?"

"Yeah, so what?" she demanded, planting her hands on her hips and shaking them tauntingly. I tried not to stare as an old fire filled my stomach, but I failed miserably, and to make things worse she grinned like a fox and pushed her long, fiery curls over her shoulders. "Come on, get up! I know you wanna drool over how hot I am, but Kipper's waiting on us!"