Chapter 92

Author's note: I'm feeling much better. Not 100% since my immune system is still ruined, but I'm not fully sick anymore and I've got energy. So, guess what? I'm gonna use it on writing! Yay!

Enjoy the chapter!

___________

Chapter Ninety-Two

You wanna know what I hate about the day leading up to a full moon? It always begins with the itching. You'd think after years upon years of experiencing each monthly lunar cycle that the side effects wouldn't get to you as much, but eh, it's just one of those things you can never really get used to. I wound up just shedding my clothes and sitting in the buff only half an hour after Huang left. My body crawled and prickled all over, as if hundreds of fire ants were wriggling beneath my flesh and eating at me. 

Worse, I was frustrated for a variety of reasons, first and foremost being that Echo hadn't been brought back to the room like I'd expected him to be. Most of my irritation came from my wolfish instincts because, again, I was an Alpha and had issues with dominance and possessiveness, but the rest simply came from being left alone.

I hated being left alone on a full moon.

It was like waiting to be punished horribly for something you didn't do.

I knew it was irrational of me to be upset, because everyone was undoubtedly getting ready for their transformations tonight, and there were also normal humans on the property. Kip, Aerin's family, and anyone else who wasn't a werewolf would be spending tonight in the guest cottages.

God, how I envied them.

There was only half an hour left until sunset, and all I could do was sit curled up against my window with my arms wrapped around my furry legs, fiddling nervously with my hooves while I stared out at the sunset beyond the trees, ticking the seconds off before my back would break

The colors splayed out across the sky, creating a beautiful conflagration. It was a sight I typically looked forward to, but tonight, like all full moons, I found it hard to appreciate on account of the twisting itch inside my body that had been growing in intensity all day long.

I couldn't even bring myself to turn my head when I finally heard a knock at my door.

"Horst," Raphael's muffled voice grunted, and with a click the door opened and he walked inside, bringing with him a barrage of overwhelming scents. I smelled everyone in the house on his body... but more than that, his scent made me angry on instinct. He was also an alpha, so I knew he understood the struggle, but it was still difficult to get mad at your loved ones for no reason other than the fact that they're standing in the same room as you.

I curled up tighter, setting my chin on my furry knees, tail twitching.

A warm hand unexpectedly touched my ear and familiar lips grazed my throat, coupled with the overwhelming vanilla scent of my boyfriend. I turned with a start to see my brother holding Echo out to me: he was small again, and covered in black fur, but his eyes were gold... not red.

"Holy crap!" I cried, snatching the curtain and dragging it completely closed. "Raph!"

"What?" my brother snorted. "The curtain was only open a crack and Echo didn't seem even a bit uncomfortable, so what's the harm?!"

"He's a vampire!" I shouted, incensed. "Vampires plus sunlight equals burning!"

"I am fine," Echo trilled, and I looked at his cute little face to see him staring at me, unblinking. "I was not hurting with the amount of light filtering in. I am okay, Horst."