Chapter 190

IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE: PLEASE READ

Hi everyone! Don't worry, this isn't about me discontinuing the book, or me going on hiatus, nothing like that! It's about the book itself being restructured to work around the 200 chapter cap! A lot of readers will wind up needing to log out and log back in, among other methods of refreshing HORNS once I've gone back and made changes to give myself more room to write. 

The reality is, there aren't enough chapter slots for me to finish this book. So, I'm gonna have to go back and edit things. I'll be changing chapter numbers, too! Even this chapter has edits! A small portion near the end of the previous chapter has been put in the beginning of this one and tweaked a little to give you guys a better reading experience. 

This chapter will remain the most recent chapter, I think... but the number will likely change after I get done editing and figuring out how to combine different chapters together to make room without taking away from the immersion and making things feel too long or drawn out. 

Plus, when I did the same thing for SLEEPSONG way back when, a lot of readers had trouble seeing the new content because I was writing said new content in chapter slots that had already been used to preserve the comments, read count, and favorites. Hence why I'm letting everyone know beforehand that refreshing things will most likely be necessary, seeing as how I intend to do the exact same thing to preserve reads, comments, and favorites..

Anyway, enjoy the latest Chapter my lovelies!

Oh, and, be sure to watch the trailer again at the end. :3  

_____________

Chapter One Hundred and Ninety

When I say I galloped, I mean I galloped for the stairs with Meo hot on my tail, and struggling to squeeze past several slow people with my crutches over my head was no easy feat. I had to beat a path through the crowd of terrified students trying to make their way underground to take shelter. Once I was past the stairs, though, it was smooth sailing--I literally tore my way down the halls.

The zippers on my dad's old jacket clinked and rattled as I booked it around several corners, passing the security guard--the old librarian's husband, Duncan Hughs--who smiled and waved. 

I paused just long enough to call, "aren't you getting underground?"

"I can't unless I see the tornado itself! I'll get fired if I leave my post!" the old man called, tipping his hat at me. "With all these people going missing from our school, security guards like me will get fired if we don't follow protocol. We have new rules, too!"

"Damn," I muttered, then waved at him. "I wish you the best, but I gotta go! Be safe!"

So saying, I whipped back around and ran for the doors, but I slowed when I drew closer to them, scanning things outside. There was no rain whatsoever, but the sky was dim, a gross shade of yellow-green, and the clouds looked almost as ominous as they had before Hurricane Olga's full force had hit several months ago. Chills ran down my spine as I studied the fast-moving storm. I lifted my hands to push the door open, but stopped when I noticed something strange.

The glass was... well, cracking.

Slowly, though, not like something under a strong amount of pressure or wind-force. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen happen to glass before--not even in movies. When glass cracked, it usually did so in shooting little spurts that spiderwebbed in every direction.