Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

Heat.

Warm heat, wrapped around me, enfolding me. I was paralyzed, unable to move as I was embraced, but it wasn't unpleasant. Arms wrapped around my neck, arms that held with enough force to break and shatter, tightening--

"Stop moving."

I jerked at the soft whisper in my ear, startled awake, but even though I listened I heard nothing unusual. I blearily opened my eyes and found myself staring at the holographic alarm clock on the nightstand, displaying that it was seven in the morning. I inhaled deeply and stretched, shifting my legs under the covers and wriggling a little against the sweat-dampened sheets to get more comfortable, ignoring the moisture that brushed against my bare upper torso.

I pushed my hair back and let my head flop against the pillow.

Sleeping is my favorite hobby, I mentally groaned, contented. Soft beds are awesome.

I was fully prepared to fall back asleep, and to be honest I almost zonked out, but I felt something the moment I was completely comfortable. I roused to partial consciousness as the blanket shifted, confused, but when I felt something cold and wet touch my back I snapped awake.

I instantly pushed myself up and twisted, looking over my shoulder but my brows furrowed in sleepy agitation when I saw a lump under my covers.

"Aerin?" I groggily rasped, but the bump didn't move. "What are you doing in my bed?"

No response.

I frowned since I didn't think Aerin would crawl into my bed. For one thing, his husband was possessive and disliked that sort of thing even if it was good natured or well intended, and for another, Aerin's bed was far more comfortable. My nose was a bit off thanks to the powder I'd snorted the previous night so I couldn't tell who it was by smell, either. The lump wasn't small enough to be any of Tiffany's children, and it wasn't exactly big enough to be an adult.

I hesitantly reached out and pulled the covers down a little.

To my alarm, unfamiliar shocks of curly blonde hair met my gaze.

"What the fuck?" I yelped, instantly jerking the blanket off and leaping out of bed. I covered my mouth, horrified, since an unfamiliar kid was sleeping under my blankets. "Who the fuck?!"

I was about to open my mouth and scream for someone, but the figure stirred and I was startled when a beautiful but decidedly male face turned in my direction. Eyes framed by long blonde lashes fluttered open, revealing fearsome-looking irises the color of blood. My heart skipped a beat as a wall of emotional ice shredded through me and I stared in utter horror.

"A vampire?" I spluttered, inhaling to scream; however, a vaguely familiar scent caught my attention through the citrus masking my nose and I stopped, blinking. "Wait..."

"Good morning," the blonde boy lying in front of me greeted in a monotonous drone. "Are you awake enough for me to taste you again? I'm afraid my palate is rather... dry, at the moment."

My mouth dropped open in shock.

There was absolutely no way, but the facts were right there in front of me.

"Holy shit," I said blankly, trying to process. "Alex?"

He stared for a long moment.

"Interesting," the vampire said without tone or inflection, regarding me without blinking. "You looked surprised yet you figured it out before I said anything. I saw realization before I spoke and confirmation afterwards, so tell me, what gave it away? Other than my own question?"