A Merry Christmas Indeed (Supernatural)

AU where Dean and Cas met a college party. this takes place five years after they met, also it's during during christmas time. 

if you couldn't tell from the title. 

it's destiel, obviously, with background saileen

Dean ran his hands through his hair.

"I don't want to fly, Cas, why is that so hard to understand!"

"I'm not spending twenty four hours driving to Oregon, when we can fly there in five!" Cas replies, his normally calm blue eyes, brimming with anger.

"I hate flying!" Dean says, his heart rate spiking just thinking about it.

It was nearly midnight. Dean and Cas had been going in circles for about three hours now. Dean was about to have a panic attack, and Cas felt like crying.

"Can we just... sleep on it? Try again tomorrow?" Cas suggests. Dean nods, emotionally and physically exhausted. He changes into his pjs and gets into bed.

Cas follows, and wraps his arms around Dean, the motion familiar and comforting, lulling Dean to sleep.

***

"Dean, we never fly! Can we please just try it!" Cas pleads.

"You know I hate flying!"

"Flying isn't that bad!"

"What do you have against driving!" Dean rebuts, keeping the panic on lockdown, like he's been doing since...

Dean pushes his memories down deep.

"I'm not flying." Dean says, his voice cold.

"I'm not driving." Cas answers, mimicking Dean's tone.

"Then I guess we're not traveling together."

"Guess not." Dean turns and walks out the door, letting the mask down and tears spill down his cheeks.

Back in the apartment, Cas sinks to the floor, replying what happened over in his mind.

***

Cas didn't know what happened. It started normally. They were making plans to visit Sam, Eileen, and Arthur, their son, and Cas said he didn't want to drive.

Dean retorted that he hated flying, and Cas took it at surface level. But after all of that, after watching Dean leave, he knew that there was something deeper.

So he called Sam.

"It was your first year anniversary." Sam says. "We were still living together, and he wanted to fly to your college to surprise you. So he took a plane. It was his first time, normally he drove everywhere. But Bobby was doing repairs on his car, so he decided that flying would just be easier."

Cas remembered this. Dean showed up, his eyes wild and nervous, holding flowers he bought at the airport. But Dean wouldn't tell Cas what was wrong.

"His plane almost crashed. A turbine stopped working, and they would have crashed if they didn't reboot it in time. He hasn't been on a plane since." Sam finishes. Cas's heart drops to his stomach. He thanks Sam and hangs up.

He needs to talk to Dean.

***

Dean hasn't moved in two hours. He shut the apartment door behind him and sank to the ground, crying and shaking.