Wayward Love (Supernatural)

THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE SERIES FINALE OF SUPERNATURAL SO IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED DON'T READ THIS!!!!!!

this takes place during the vamp fight scene in 15.20

I hope this eases some of your pain after the finale (which I would like to clarify, I had some mixed feelings about it) 

this is mostly destiel, with side saileen

anyways, enjoy!

Dean always figured it would end like this.

The brute was pushing him back towards where a nail was sticking out of the wood. Adrenaline was coursing through his veins.

Dean spared one glance at it, and that was all the brute needed to gain the upper hand.

Dean's breath left him, as he just barely managed to duck out of the way, leaving the brute to stick himself on the nail.

Ah, the irony, Dean thought to himself as he grabbed his serrated knife and sliced the brute's head off.

"Man, that would have been a sucky end." Sam comments, wiping off his knife on one of the vamp's jackets.

"Shut it." Dean grumbles, as the two walk out to the Impala, where the two kids were huddled by the wheel of the car. Sam passes off his knife for Dean to put in the trunk as he goes to console to the two boys.

Dean gets into the passenger seat as the two boys slip into the backseat. Sam shuts the door, and Dean starts the car, driving down the empty road.

Silence fills the car, and not for the first time, Dean catches himself thinking of Cas.

Of his declaration, right before the Empty took him.

And if there was anything Dean could've done to save him. If Dean could've stopped the Empty from taking his best friend, who had always been more than that.

The unspoken thing between them, that everyone who met them managed to pick up on. That Dean tried denying for long, after listening to his father rant about how homosexuality was a sin, that gay people were an abomination on Earth, which was saying a lot since the Winchesters hunted monsters as a living.

And so Dean repressed it. But it's hard to hide a love that strong, and after doing some research on Sammy's computer (using incognito mode, of course) Dean started realizing that maybe... maybe it was alright to be in love with his best friend.

Maybe he wasn't a freak, like John would always call him.

And then Cas said it, and Dean couldn't have been happier, and more regretful as the Empty came and took him away.

Sam kept trying to talk about it, but Dean was used to hiding behind fake smiles, and even faker words, and naturally he said he was fine.

But he wasn't.