Truth (Merlin)

"Have you noticed Merlin's been avoiding us?" Arthur asked Morgana.

The siblings were sitting at Arthur's table, eating the breakfast that Merlin had set on the table, before he hightailed out of Arthur's chambers.

Normally, Arthur would wake up to Merlin's incessant chatter, but the past three days, Merlin's pulled the covers off of Arthur, opened the drapes, set the breakfast down and left, without saying a word.

"I have. Gwen said that Merlin doesn't stay to talk with anyone anymore. He does what he needs to do and leaves. It's like he's a different person." Morgana commented, throwing a grape in her mouth. "Did you do something?"

"Why would you assume I did something?" Arthur responds, outraged, before sighing and setting his head in hands. "Fine. But I don't think I did anything." He groaned.

"Talk to him, Arthur." Morgana urged.

Arthur sighed again, and stood up. "Alright, I'll go find him. But if he quits because I accidentally said something wrong, its your fault." Arthur jabbed a finger at his sister, before marching out of the room, looking like the king he was.

***

"Merlin!" Merlin spun around to see Arthur running toward him, and he swallowed nervously.

There was a very good reason he was avoiding his king, and he really didn't want to get into the details.

Short version, Merlin was enchanted. A truth spell. Gaius couldn't figure out how to break it, and Merlin's magic wasn't working on it.

Now, Merlin couldn't lie. Which was unfortunate for him, since his whole life was based on the lie that he doesn't have magic.

"Ar-Arthur." Merlin stammered, hoping that he could just cheat his way out of it.

"Merlin." Arthur crossed his arms. "What in the hell is going on?"

"I don-don't know what you mean." Not technically a lie.

"You haven't spoken a word to anyone in three days. Gwen's worried, so is Morgana. And frankly, I am too." Arthur's eyes softened, almost imperceptibly.

Merlin opened his mouth to say 'nothing's wrong'. To lie and continue on his way.

But he couldn't. The words got stuck in his throat.

"Merlin? What is going on with you? What are you hiding from me?" Arthur asked.

Merlin took an unsteady step backwards, trying to keep his secret from coming out. It couldn't- he couldn't say it.

"Merlin?" Arthur's originally angry tone turned concerned. He tilted his head and stared at the sorcerer.

"I love you." Merlin blurted out, before clapping a hand over his mouth. He stood frozen for a few moments, before pushing past Arthur and running down the hall.

He couldn't believe he just-

Arthur's never going to look at me the same way.

Thoughts crowd Merlin's mind as he ran through Gaius's chambers and into his own room, slamming the door and collapsing on the bed.

***

Arthur walked numbly back to his chambers, and fell backward onto his bed.

He loves me.

I need to talk to him.

"Brother!" Morgana threw open the doors and walked over to where Arthur lay, staring up at the ceiling. "What happened?"

"He loves me." Arthur replied softly, his voice barely louder than a whisper.

"Who loves you." Morgana sat eagerly on the bed.

"Merlin."

"I knew it!" Morgana cheered, before looking back to me. "Why are you here then. Shouldn't you be with him?"

"I froze. And he ran away. Like he didn't want to tell me." Arthur closed his eyes.

"Arthur, if he loves you, then he loves you. Go find him." Morgana urged.

Arthur sat up, and stared at his sister, like she was an idiot.

"Go." She said again, and pushed him off the bed.

"Hey!" He exclaimed, and stood up. Arthur brushed the non-existent dirt off of his clothes and stomped out the door.

"I'm only going because I'm mad!" Arthur called back, to Morgana's amusement. "Not because of Merlin!"

"You can tell yourself that." Morgana responded, her laughter bouncing off of the stone walls of the castle.

***

"Merlin, the king is here!" Gaius called. He looked up to where Merlin hadn't left his room since he ran in, and slammed the door. Gaius turned to where Arthur stood, looking regal, and slightly awkward.

The door creaked open, and Merlin shuffled out, his eyes red-rimmed and glassy.

"My lord." He said.

"Merlin." Arthur answered. "Gaius, could we have a few moments please."

Gaius nodded and left his chambers, leaving the two boys alone.

***

"Merlin-" Arthur starts, but Merlin interrupted.

"I'm not sorry about earlier, I do love you, and I really hope you don't fire me." Merlin shut his mouth, and looked at the ground, his face heating up.

"Why would I fire you?" Arthur asked softly.

"Because your the king, and I'm disrespectful, and in love with you, and not a very good servant." Merlin answered, like the words were forced out.

"First of all, I don't fire people because they're in love with me, otherwise I'd have no staff." Arthur joked, and looked to Merlin, hoping for a smile, but Merlin kept his eyes glued to the ground.

Arthur frowned, and continued. "Secondly, I couldn't imagine having any other servant." Arthur stepped closer to Merlin, who was making a point to ignore him.

"Merlin." Arthur whispered.

Merlin looked up, his bright blue eyes filled with hope and pain and fear.

Arthur placed a hand on Merlin's cheek, and brought their lips together.

"Thirdly." Arthur whispered, resting his forehead on Merlin's. "I love you too."

Merlin let out a breathless laugh.

"I never thought this would happen." Merlin told him.

"Me neither."

Merlin met Arthur's eyes and kissed him again. 

this was long because im very sorry for not updating in a while

im still pissed about spn, and now twitter and tumblr are blowing up and shit is crazy

i hope you enjoyed this tho, and ill try to update a bit more regularly. 

go check out my other books!!

XOXO Valkyrie