~|16|~

MONA'S POV
<~EDITED~>

"His son's name is Hakeem oluseyi. He's very handsome,he's a doctor and--"

"Ok ok mommy why are you telling me all this?" I cut her off.

"Because. You're not getting any younger and so am I and your father. I need grandchildren now-" if you imagine how close you are to getting one-"-you're single. He's single. Why not?" She finished.

"Mommy. I'm not ready for a man yet" I said sitting up from the dinning chair I sat on.

"What do you mean you're not ready for a man? Look at you,.. you're a woman. If you wait any longer you won't see any man that would marry you again"she scowled at me.

Oh God

"Mommy look. Let's finish this year and then next year I'll find a man?" I raised my eyebrows suggestively. Maybe.

Now that I was pregnant, finding a man is the last thing on my list.

"No" Her reply was firm" You're going on a date with hakeem and that's it. FYI he's invited to the launch party" with that she stood and strutted to her bedroom.

Remind me never to come back to my parents house while mom's on her "I need a grandchild" phase.

I left my parents house driving to my doctor's appointment. It was finally the day. Thank you world for the Google maps.

The clinic was small but beautiful. I turned off my car taking a deep breath before getting down. I strode into the building.

The clinic smelt of antiseptics and peaches. It was painted like every other hospital. Plain white. I walked up to the reception. She was a smallish woman that I would recognize anywhere.

Alana.

God. Why now of all times?. I forced a smile. Yeah no.

"Hi" I greeted.

She looked up from what ever she was typing to look at me. She did a double take before a slow smirk creeped up her face.

"Hi. Mona right?" She asks,her smile growing.

"Yes. I have an appointment with doctor Samantha" I said not trying to start a conversation with her.

"Doctor Samantha. The gynaecologist. Are you expecting?" Her eyes widened.

"I don't see how that is any of your damn business. Now please I need to see the doctor."I retorted sternly, successfully shutting her prying mouth.

"Ok. Here's your name. The second floor to your left the first door" she says.

I didn't reply and just left. After climbing the stairs I finally got to her door and knocked softly.

"Come in" her soft voice sounded through the door.

I opened the door slowly. The office was painted a stereotypical white and light grey. The walls held pictures of foetus in the mothers womb and pregnant women.

I took a deep breath again.

"Good afternoon doctor"my eyes finally landed on her.

She was a woman probably in her late fifties. She wore dark rimmed glasses,that strangely suited her small face and had a scrub around her neck.

"Good afternoon. You must be Ms monachim Roberts" she smiled politely at me.

"Yes. I am." I affirmed.

"Well take a seat" She told me and i did.

After i settled she started talking again.

"Ok. We'll start with a few questions is that alright?" She peered up at me from her glasses.

"Yes that's fine" i nodded.

"Your age?".

"26" she jotted it down on her notepad.

That was how she asked these questions like mines and family medical history. I answered all based on my knowledge of them.

"Your last period determines your due date. Since you last saw your period latest June. You probably conceived earliest August so your due date will be earliest or latest March."she informed.

I nodded impressed at she being totally right about me concieveing early August.

She checked my height, weight,blood pressure,checked my heart and lungs then finally my breasts.

"It's time for the pelvic exam" she says as she stood.

"Please stand up and lie down here"she said gesturing for me to lie on the bed at the far end of the office.

I nodded stiffly doing as she says. She took what she called a pap smear for any possible signs of cervical cancer and/or STI's.

The awkwardest was the bimanual internal exam. She had to put her two fingers inside me to determine the size of my uterus and pelvis.

"You are indeed pregnant" she mumbled and i let out a breath.

"Would you like to see your baby?"she asked with a knowimg smile.

"Yes" I replied,a little eager.

She nodded before whipping out her Doppler and whatever that jelly thingy was called.

She rubbed the ice cold jell on my tummy before using her wand to dance around it.

I watched the monitor with my breath held.

"Here's your baby"the doctor informed.

I let a tear slip. This is all so real now. My baby was pea sized. I could barely see it but it was there. It was there. My baby.

A faint sound could be heard and I perked up. "What's that sound?" I asked even though I had an idea what it was.

"It's your baby's heartbeat"the doctor responded.

My baby

I couldn't help it. I cried.

"Your baby looks healthy. The heartbeat is strong........"I tuned her out.

I was so into my baby's heartbeat. It was a melodious rythm. It was strong but yet so tiny.

"Do you want a picture?" I was snapped out of my thoughts.

"Yes yes I do"

Finally after nearly two hours I was done. She said I had to come back every four weeks. She also adviced against drinking alcohol, stressing myself,and wearing heels(the basics). She told me to eat enough fruits and drink enough water,Which i already do.

"Thank you doctor" I say as I stood up ready to leave.

"You're welcome" she smiled.

I left the hospital.

*****This chapter was totally necessary. Vote and comment.