How He Met My Mother

John's eyes widened as soon as he saw where I had brought him.

The Cemetery.

Oh boy.

"Grace. What are we doing here?" John asked hesitantly. I turned around, still holding his hand.

"I want to introduce you to someone." I stated with a weak smile and gently tugged on his hand before walking through the cemetery. 

I'll spare you the details on what the cemetery looked like since it looks like any other random cemetery. The whole place is eerily beautiful and there's even a beautiful willow tree by my mom's grave which I saw as I neared her stone with John. My heart thudded in my chest at I saw it.

Samantha Harrison
1972-2017
Beloved Mother and Daughter
'Forever in the stars'

I saw the gardenias I had left for her the day before and I smiled softly.

"Hey mum." I greeted softly. "I want you to meet someone." I let out a sigh and gestured to John.

"This is John, my friend." I declared. I felt John squeeze my hand and I squeezed it back gently. "Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Me? Having friends?" I snorted, imagining my mom laughing up in Heaven.

"I know it seems impossible and believe me. My sentiments exactly." I continued, my lips tugging into a smile.

"Anyway, he was wanting to meet you, but you're...you know." I muttered awkwardly. "So this was the closest I could get him." I thought about it and smiled. "I'm sure you'd like him, though. Surprisingly, he and his bloke cousins think I enjoy having three extra shadows. 

"Do I?" I chuckled. "Not really. But I've decided to put up with them. At least until they decide they're bored of me." I rambled, completely forgetting that John was right beside me. When I felt John squeeze my hand again, I snapped back into reality and began to fiddle with my bracelet. I chuckled awkwardly.

"Sorry. I kind of got carried away there." I mumbled, looking at the ground.

'Bloody hell, I'm such a twat.' I internally groaned. 'End my misery, please.'

"What did you mean by, 'we'd get bored'?" John's voice asked, confused. I looked up and saw his befuddled expression. 

I shrugged apathetically. "People get bored of people." I stated nonchalantly. I mean, it's true.

'Am I wrong?'

 "What do you mean by that?" He questioned, still confused by my remark. I refrained from rolling my eyes and bit my cheek, trying to stop myself from making a rude comment.

"Maybe I was exaggerating when I said you were smart." I muttered and began to walk back to the path.

...

Keyword: tried.

"That's not answering my question, Cam." John replied sternly and I froze in place.

'What. The. Actual. Bloody. Hell.' I turned around and threw him the coldest glare that I haven't used in a LONG time.

"Don't ever use that name ever again, do you hear me? Unless you want me to help you on your way to meet your maker. Understood?" I threatened coldly and surprisingly calmly.

That name can go rot in hell as well as all the memories it holds. That name is the reason why my mother is dead.

I am the reason why my mother is dead.

John's eyes widened in response, suddenly understanding my harshness.

"Grace, I am so s-" John began, but I cut him off.