Is 'Somewhat Legal' A Thing?

After I hid in the hallway until everyone was in their classes (like a bloody coward), I reached my Chemistry class and entered the room calmly just before the final bell while Mrs. McCray was doing roll. When she heard me come in, she looked up at me from her desk at the front of the room and smiled. I found myself smiling back.

"Grace. I was beginning to wonder where you went." She said in her usual gentle tone, her glasses resting on top of her head.

Now, something to note is that Mrs. McCray is my favorite teacher. I love them all, don't get me wrong, but Mrs. McCray is like a second grandmother to me. She has short grey hair that's in a cute little bob and kind blue eyes which have a calming effect on literally everybody. 

You think I'm exaggerating?

This seventy-something-year-old granny managed to break up a fistfight between the wrestlers and the football players JUST by handing out chocolate-chip cookies.

Personal theory: she's a siren or witch. Or something. 

...

Just putting it out there.

Regardless of her possible magic background, this woman even lets me babysit her grandkids for weeks at a time. 

AND PAYS ME TWELVE BUCKS AN HOUR. 

NO JOKE.

I mean, she's always made me feel like family. So it makes a piece of my heart sink when I have to tell her a tiny, itty-bitty, teenie weenie fib.

"I was jumped in the hallway." I lied smoothly as I leaned against the doorway, the words rolling off my tongue easily. "Some teens from Greenwich." I added with a nonchalant shrug.

See? Tiny, itty-bitty, teenie weenie fib.

...

'I'm such a lying piece of shit.' I think to myself with a sharp sigh.

I know I'm a piece of shit, okay! I know it already so don't go scolding me like the child I am totally not...

Yeah...

The thing is, given how kind and generous she is, lying to her makes me physically sick. But in some cases, I have to.

Now my real reason as to why I was late, which I'm sure you can guess, was because I was trying to make sure I lost the Three Stooges incarnate.

Bloody hell, they didn't give up on trying to find me. The only place I lost them was in the girls' bathroom. And I swear, if they had tried to follow me in there, I was going to send their arses all the way to the depths of Tartarus without so much as batting an eye.

'Let's see how they'd sweet-talk their way out of there.'

After hearing my lie, Mrs. McCray's eyes widened, but she nodded nonetheless, believing the fib.

"Again?" She asked concernedly, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, and I gave a half shrug, somewhat agreeing with her. The class snickered at her question, obviously heading her loud and clear, but I rolled my eyes and refrained from flipping them all off.

'Annoying pieces of sh-'

"Yes ma'am." I responded with gritted teeth, imagining all the ways I could beat their pathetic arses beyond all recognition.

As you can see, this is not the first time I've had to use this excuse. And it roughly gets the same reaction: everyone sniggering and laughing like children.

'Assholes.'

Hearing my answer, Mrs. McCray gave me a concerned look that broke my heart. "Do you remember what they looked like?" She continued curiously, but I shook my head.