A Somewhat Amusing Car Ride

True to their word, after school, we met up in the empty parking lot. When I saw the three mongrels, Grayson and Ben were smacking each other over the head while John was walking ahead of them with his eyes rolling.

"You asshole! Stop hitting me!"

"You started it!"

"No, I didn't! Don't lie, Gray!"

"DITTO!!"

"OH SHUT UP-"

'Christ, they're annoying as fuck.'

"Hey, Grace!" John blurted, interrupting Ben and Grayson's bickering. John gave me a bright smile as I walked towards them. I didn't return the gesture; I just quirked a brow at the two brothers who were still beating each other up. "I'm surprised you showed up." He continued, obviously pleased.

I arched my brow higher. "Why? It's school." I gave him a pointed look. "I literally have to be here." I reminded, sounding a teensy-weensy bit snarky. He simply shrugged, brushing off my tone.

"I thought you would have hightailed it out of here so that you wouldn't have to deal with us." He explained. The sarcasm in his voice made me want to roll my eyes. So I did.

Without letting me say anything in reply, John continued, "My truck's over here." As he spoke, he led us over to a slick, rusty black Chevy pickup.

Quite a beauty.

As I neared it, I noticed what type it was and I whistled. "1900 C/K 1500 Chevy. Nice." I said appreciatively as I gazed at the car.

Not as nice as Zoom, but a beauty all the same. She was in good condition except for multiple scratches and dents.

John raised an eyebrow at my knowing the model of the car. "You know cars?" He asked and I shrugged.

Of course I knew cars. Firstly, hanging out with Ray, a total car junkie, gives you an insight into the car world. Which is mostly why I could tell that the car was nice. 

'Not as rare as a 1991 GMC Syclone.' I mused to myself, then shook my head. 'I can't believe I actually remember the name of the damn thing.'

Bloody hell, you will not believe the endless rants I heard about that car. 

Ray would not. Shut. Up. About. It. Fuck, it used to be like a kid around Christmas time, hoping to get a Barbie Dreamhouse.

Anyway, John's face was actually quite impressed when he found out I knew about cars. I could see it in his eyes and I teetered between being offended (which is so stupid) and being proud. 

I cleared my throat after a bit of silence. "Okay, two questions." I began. "One: where are we going? And two: how are we going to get there in this tiny pickup?" I inquired, faking curiosity. Well, I was curious as to how the four of us would fit in the three-seater truck.

Ben just smiled at my questions.

"A little boxing ring called The Underground. It's around the downtown area, but not completely in it." He clarified. 

I nodded unsurely and looked at John. "You know I wasn't kidding when I said that for all I know, you're going to murder me, right?" 

He laughed at my remark and grinned playfully.

"Yes, I know. Don't worry." His grin widened to a full-blown smile. "You're perfectly safe with us." He reassured sincerely and I nodded slightly.

"That's very reassuring." I replied snarkily with an eye roll. Without letting him retort, I looked back at the truck and gestured to it. "But how are we going to get there? This truck can only fit three and I'm not in the mood to be in a sandwich with two of you." I said jokingly, though I meant it one-hundred percent.