Why Do All Boys Suck? Except For John?

"H-he...WHAT??" I whispered as my jaw dropped in shock.

'Th-this can't be...can't be true.'

"Grace. Honey." Scar let out a laugh at my obvious dumbfoundedness. "You may be one of the smartest people I've met in a long time, which is saying A LOT, but you are so fucking clueless, it's almost adorable."

I rolled my eyes at her and went back to gently playing with John's hair silently, not trusting my voice to work.

"Okay, since you don't believe me, which is ridiculous, look at the facts." She continued simply. "I barely know the guy, but from everything I've seen, he cares a shit-ton about you."

I worried my bottom lip as her words sunk in.

'Well...when you put it like that...YOU SOUND CRAZY.'

Oh, but she wasn't finished.

"Remember that day of the race when you got in that crash?" She asked randomly and I blinked.

'How could I forget? That was the day Bertinelli sicked his flying monkeys on me.' I mused to myself sarcastically.

"Of course I do. Why?"

"Well, when you were unconscious, that boyfriend of yours went ape on EVERYONE. He wouldn't let anyone carry you, he insisted on being there when you woke up and he wouldn't leave your side like some lost puppy. Overprotective would be putting it mildly."

My jaw dropped again.

"Really?" I whispered incredulously, not believing what I was hearing.

"Of course, Grace!" Scar exclaimed, her tone suggesting that she thought I was stupid by not taking her seriously. "He acted as if you were never going to see the light of day again."

My shoulders slumped as I muttered, "Well, this is the first time I'm hearing of this." My head began to swim as I tried to make sense of what my so-called 'smart' mate was telling me.

'She's supposed to have an IQ over one-eighty and yet she's saying shit like this.'

And, I hate to admit it, but my heart fluttered the entire time Scar was telling me this. 

Little did I know, I had been wanting someone to care about me for the longest time. It was subconscious, yes, but for years, I had been wanting to be cared about. 

To be loved.

And as it appeared, I was getting what I wanted.

"Grace. Is it so unbelievable that a guy can like you?" Scar inquired rhetorically and I let out a puff of breath.

"After everything that I've done, kind of." I replied, my tone breaching on snark. Before Scar could say something, I continued, "He knows everything, Scar. Everything." I gritted out. "He has every right to flee from me in fear." I finished as a murmur. My heart was sinking into my stomach as I spoke.

"Grace. Isn't it a testament to how much you already care about him since you told him so much about yourself?"

 This time, I was speechless.

"Your mom would want you to move on. She would want you to be happy and forgive yourself."

I sucked in a breath at her words.

"Take it from me." She then muttered lowly, but I still heard it, though I didn't say anything from shock. "Ace, you need to forgive yourself and move on. You need to be happy."