8

the two arrived in a big room, where many other people lined up; one by one, people were getting checked in and were being separated into three rooms.

jooheon stood in front of miso and got checked in by a man with a clipboard.

"name?" the man asked him.

"lee jooheon."

"okay. you should report to room number two."

jooheon nodded and walked into his room; miso then noticed that there were rooms that got numbered.

"name?" the man asked her since she was next.

"park miso."

"wow, that's amazing." he looked at his clipboard. "you must play well; report to room three."

she nodded and walked to her room, the drink still in her hand; she felt like facepalming herself, wishing she asked the man if drinks were allowed. however, she was a bit bummed that she was not in the same room as jooheon.

she entered the room and saw three baby grand pianos in the front of the room; a woman greeted her and told her to sit on one of the chairs. miso sat down by herself, along with a couple of other people that were there as well.

after the chairs filled up with more people, a man walked into the room who got everyone's attention by pressing a few keys on one of the pianos.

"welcome to the yeongnam piano competition." the man started, sitting on a piano bench. "my name is son hyunwoo, and i will be in charge of this division. you ten have been selected in the professional division since you all have the talent and potential."

"first of all, i would love to introduce the youngest one of this group, park miso! miso, could you please stand up?"

everyone looked around the room to see the youngest competitor; miso herself was ashamed that she was called out in front of everyone, even if nine other people were competing.

she stood up and bowed, getting the attention of the others. they all clapped for her, and she sat down, hiding her face behind her hands.

"this group is ranging from eighteen years of age through thirty; it just surprises me that a sixteen-year-old made it in this group." the man continued to explain, smiling at her.

"today is the day where i pair you all up with your page turner. you will get your assignments as well, so no one will get eliminated today."

hyunwoo started to read off names from the clipboard, pairing everyone up and giving them their piano sheets.

"and last but not least, park miso and im changkyun. miso will be the page turner of this pair, so please come up and grab your assignment."

a page turner? she thought to herself while walking up to hyunwoo to collect the notes. isn't that the one who doesn't play the piano?

miso looked around to find her partner, but she didn't know who this "im changkyun" looked like; after all, she has not heard the name before.

she finally saw a boy who sat down in a chair, alone; she recognized his face and gasped when she figured who he was. that is the guy from the sushi stand last week, that bastard.

he also looked up and saw her as well, sighing. he probably recognizes me too. i'm a bit impressed that i'm seeing him again.

she took a deep breath and walked over to him, sitting down in the chair next to him.

"ohh, you're the one from the sushi stand last week, right?" he asked her, chuckling. "having you as my partner for the rest of the competition. what a coincidence."

"r-rest of the competition?" she could not believe her ears.

"of course, wouldn't it be stupid if the instructor paired all of us differently for each round? are you an idiot? oh, yeah, that's why you're my pageturner."

anger slowly started to boil in her body. what a first impression. she picked up her drink and sipped it, hoping to relieve her stress.

"coffee? drinks are not allowed, don't you know that?" he asked her, eyeballing the cup that was in her hand.

"aren't you such a hypocrite? what is that by your foot?" she pointed to a soda can that was by his foot.

he looked down and chuckled. "hmph, you got me there, anyway, we are not here to argue. let's see what our assignment is."

"you started it," she mumbled under the breath.

"hmm? is there a problem?" he asked her, looking up from the piano sheets.

she shook her head. "just look at this, please?"

the two looked through the piano sheets, seeing what changkyun had to play; it reminded her of the exercises she did at home, which made her miss her mother a bit.

"this is so easy for me," he said, leaning back in his chair with confidence. he then looked at her. "how about you, page turner? is this easy for you as well?"

"i have a name." she snapped back. "miso. get it right."

"miso, miso, what a name. but page turner fits you better."

"you haven't heard me play, do not underestimate me. after all, i am the youngest one who is here, right?"

"you were probably on the borderline of making it. the instructor most likely let you slide because you're a girl."

she gasped, offended. "you are just unbelievable."

for the first time, she wished minhyuk was here with her; he wasn't a punk like changkyun was to her. even more, she also wished jooheon was in the same division as her so she wouldn't be around her partner.