3

~ a few days later ~

"you are very talented miso, i wish i were as good as you when i was your age." her piano teacher told her as she finished up the lesson. miso just nodded and smiled, accepting the compliment. she was about to stand up from the bench, but her teacher stopped her.

"before you go, i wanna give you this." she handed her a flyer, which read the following.

yeongnam piano competition

a contest for advanced pianists only, lots of well-known pianists won, and you can be the next one!

how to audition: come to the yeongnam conference center this weekend from 12 p.m.- 3 p.m., have your most confident piece in hand!

see you there!

"it's a competition. i know, it's the same one i give you every year, but i would like it if you tried it! i'm sure you'd get in, trust me!" her teacher praised her student.

miso just sighed and chuckled. "i-i don't know, ms. kim, i don't think i'm good enough."

"of course you are, silly, stop saying nonsense! if you get in, my dreams will come true, and i'll be there every step in the way."

"did you compete in this?"

"yes, but i only made it through the first round, if i remember correctly, there are five rounds. however, you'll be playing with a person called a page turner."

"that person will be there with you for the rest of the competition until you both get eliminated. two people get eliminated every round, so it's a little stressful."

"if you can do the math, the competition starts with ten people, as every two people get dropped, there will be two winning people in the end, who will end up competing against each other. whoever wins is the next probably 'big star' which i highly doubt."

"is this broadcasted on tv?" miso asked, being a little confused.

"nope, it's just a competition. the trophies you win are pretty, so it'll look very nice in your hands."

miso thought about it and tilted her head.

"but, just consider trying out this year, though, please." her teacher begged, putting her hands together.

"i'll think about it; thank you." miso grabbed her bag and walked out of the studio; although that's what she always told her, she actually decided to think about it.

she arrived at the bus stop, looking at the flyer. instead of throwing it away like every year, she decided to keep it this time; something inside her told her to keep it, but she didn't know why.

"welcome home, honey!" her mother welcomed, opening the front door for miso.

"hey, mom. i got this from ms. kim today." she gave her mother the flyer, and the two of them sat on the dinner table where the food was waiting for the two.

"you kept it this year, hmm? what made you not throw it away this year?"

"i don't know. i figured i should show you and hear your thoughts about it."

"well, i think you should go! one of my other friends' son is competing in this. he does every year."

"oh, cool."

"his name is lee jooheon. you haven't met him yet, but i'm sure he's sweet like minhyuk."

"and i'm sure he's irritating like him. what's up with boys' surnames being lee?"

"oh, stop it, miso. you should open up to more people so you can have friends."

"what's the point of friends? the last time i had 'friends' was in middle school, mom. they all turned their backs on me because they didn't like the way i am."

"maybe act differently. minhyuk is nice enough to hang around with you, and you always want him gone."

"well yeah, because he's annoying."

"that's always your excuse for him. perhaps, do you like him?"

"mom!"

"what? i'm just asking. do you?"

"no! gosh, mom, what the hell?"

"haha. should i ask jooheon's mom more about the competition?"

"no. i'll just find out for myself."

"alright. eat up, and don't forget to do your homework."