68

kihyun then played a couple of measures before the mess up and continued to flow nicely throughout the rest of the piece, hyungwon following just as smoothly.

after the two played the last chord of the piece, everyone else in the room applauded.

"good job, you may go back to your seats." hyunwoo excused the two, looking up from his clipboard after taking some notes. both of them went back to their seats, kihyun putting his face in his hands from embarrassment, and hyungwon just looking behind him to see his competitors.

"alright, now, changkyun and miso, please come up." hyunwoo announced. the two that got called stood up from their seats and walked towards the front.

when miso passed by kihyun, he stuck his foot out to trip her. she tripped over his foot and almost fell forward but got caught by changkyun, who caught hold of her chest. miso shot a glare at kihyun and continued to walk to the front.

changkyun, on the other hand, looked at kihyun with a smirk. "someone's salty." he whispered to him, following miso.

he heard kihyun mumble something and just shook his head. he's probably talking about us. changkyun thought to himself.

changkyun and miso sat at the bench, him laying the sheets out for the both of them to follow. miso adjusted her brace so that it was more comfortable for her to play.

"miso and changkyun, whenever you're- wait," hyunwoo was about to let the two start, but then saw the brace. "miso, did you hurt your wrist?"

"yes."

"how bad?"

"not too bad."

"will you be able to play the piece?"

"y-"

"she will; we made modifications." changkyun interrupted.

"miso, you do realize that you have to play what is on the sheet, right?" hyunwoo asked, leaning against the front of the piano.

"she might not be able to for some parts, but as i said before, we did make modifications." changkyun replied, slowly getting irritated. "she will still play her parts, but differently."

hyunwoo just nodded and wrote some notes down on his clipboard.

"alright then, you two can start," he said, taking a few steps back from the piano. changkyun looked at miso, who was touching her wrist nervously.

"you can do this; we can do this," he whispered to her, putting his hand on her knee reassuringly. she looked at him and slightly smiled, the words melting her heart.

the two nodded as a signal that they both were ready. he then started playing the introduction of the piece, giving her time to get a bit comfortable.

after a few measures, she jumped in, using her left hand to start with. she was mostly going to use her left hand, which she hoped that she could handle; after all, this piece was six pages long.

on the third page, her left hand was starting to get tired; she tried her best to keep playing until her next break, but she instead played in a soft tone. changkyun noticed it, and it caught him off guard, so he played at the same volume as her, a bit of a mezzo piano.

once she hit her last break in the song, he started to crescendo, making the piece the volume it was supposed to be in the first place. she contemplated playing her last measures with both of her hands. this will be the last time i'll be playing in a while anyway, so why not. she thought, smiling to herself.

hearing him play the measure before she had to jump in, she adjusted her brace so that it was not in the way of her fingers moving. if i don't play with two hands, then i'll definitely regret this.

finally playing the last measures with two of her hands, she caught her partner off guard, again. changkyun quickly noticed and switched to the original way, matching the melody so that the piece did not sound so busy.

after the two finished the piece with the final chord, they earned applause from everyone in the room, including kihyun. kihyun knew he was in defeat anyway since he messed up in the middle of the piece and decided to stop trying to compete against them.

"nice job." hyunwoo told the two, writing notes down on his clipboard. "you two can go back to your seats."

they both stood up from the bench and quickly walked back to their seats, both of them being proud of each other. sitting down, changkyun held miso's hand and squeezed it hard, expressing all his joy and pride in it; she could tell he was happy from how he sat to the way he smiled to himself. that was when she knew that she definitely caught feelings, and he was her whole world.