Chapter 21

.

It was 2 am and Link was wide awake.

He left his sleeping friend, who refuses to use his own bed, and went downstairs to sit in his office for a while. He started reading the proposal JC left and so far, it was an eye opener. When Rhett pointed out that they were not equipped for this big expansion, he was not joking.

After an hour of looking over the material and highlighting things he did not understand or needed clarification, he found himself spacing out, thinking of his options for the inevitable move. The door of the office opens and a half asleep Rhett walks in, scratching his unruly hair: "It's the crack ass of dawn, man. Why aren't you in bed.. sleeping?"

Link stares back: "Why aren't you sleeping?"

Rhett glares at his friend and sits heavily on the chair in front of his desk: "Your deflection game is weak."

Link: "I wasn't trying to deflect. You have to go to work in the morning."

Rhett: ".. and you're on strict bed rest."

Link sighs loudly, looking sadly at the letter in his hand. He hands it to Rhett: "I'm sorry."

Rhett felt his blood boil in his veins. The more he reads the more he feels the need to punch someone. What broke the camel's back were the clear tears smudges on the paper. His friend must have cried over this.. He looks angrily at Link: "Why are you apologizing?"

Link: "You just took a leap of faith and moved in. Now we all have to move out."

Rhett shakes his head: "Fuck that! We're not going anywhere. If they have a problem with us, they should leave!"

Link: "Imagine Jessie or Christy complaining about a noisy neighbor. Wouldn't you do the same to keep them comfortable?"

Rhett slams his hand on the table: "We're not noisy! It's not our fault!"

Link rubs his forehead, clearly given up on fighting this matter: "I know it's not fair.. But we're only 7 people.. The initial petition was signed by 36 people, that doesn't even include their families. It's not fair for them either."

Rhett continues to shake his head: "I'm calling a lawyer. We're fighting this!"

Link smiles sadly at him: "I don't want to go either, Rhett. This is my home. It still smells.." Link's breath hitches as his emotions start to bubble up: "It smells like my wife."

Rhett: "Then why aren't you fighting them! We can at least try!"

Link shakes his head as a few tears escapes him: "It's my fault.. I don't want to create more trouble. This letter might be a little bit aggressive but my neighbors are good people. They don't deserve to be roped into the mess we're in."

Link wipes his tears and smiles forcefully at Rhett: "I'm sorry, Rhett. I'm not sure how we will find a house with no neighbors but I'm sure we will manage somehow. I will start calling realtors tomorrow and we will see how it goes."

Rhett's eyes were wide: "Link! This is not ok! This is your house! No one has the right to kick you out like that."

Link takes the letter from Rhett and whispers: "This judge and the 36 neighbors around this area doesn't seem to share your opinion.. It's ok. As long as we're all together, anywhere we live in will be home."

Rhett felt his heart break over Link's defeated voice. He wasn't sure if Link was trying to convince him or console himself. Rhett sighs loudly: "At least let me try?"