Chapter 46

.

The sudden change alerted the taller man. He sat up straight and tried to reach for Link once more but the smaller man shook his head in clear rejection.

Micheal saw the tears that were starting to roll down Link's cheeks: "What's wrong?"

Link didn't know how to answer that question. Everything felt wrong and it was somehow his fault.

He noticed an unhealthy pattern emerging in his relationship: Rhett's clinginess, Gabby's attachment and now Micheal's obsession.

They all treat him way differently than how they treat everyone else in their lives. Rhett doesn't seem to care about his relationship with his kids as much as he cares about his partnership with Link. Gabby is strict and apathetic towards everyone but treats him like he's a precious king. And now Micheal.. the most feared criminal on earth, an asexual, is wasting his time, money, ignoring his needs and throwing away all what he believes in just to please him.

He cannot blame all these people anymore.

Link is the common factor here, so it stands to reason that it's definitely his fault. He was somehow emotionally manipulating them.

Link whispers in horror: "Did you do something illegal to plan this?"

Micheal was getting nervous. He didn't know what he did wrong to get such a reaction from Link. He knows that Link wouldn't care that he was asexual. The shorter man is well known for being open-minded. Something triggered him and Micheal didn't want to upset his Angel: "No. I just bought it for a few hours so we can have some privacy."

Link wipes his tears in frustration: "I need you to be honest with me."

Micheal nods and tries once again to get closer to Link, but the sick man inches away. He needed space to understand what was going on.

Link: "Have you ever been in a relationship before?"

Micheal frowns at the odd question: "Yes. I've had a couple of serious girlfriends."

Link sighs, slightly relieved that at least there is a baseline to work off of: "Was it anything like this?" He points with his hand at the space between them.

Micheal shakes his head: "No."

Micheal was having a hard time keeping up with this line of thought. Whatever his angel is contemplating, he's probably overthinking it.

Link looks around, wishing for the first time since he set foot on this beach that he hasn't been brought here. He didn't know what to do or what to say without hurting Micheal's feelings.

Micheal couldn't handle the silence and rejection anymore.

He grabbed the part of the blanket underneath Link and pulled it until the smaller man was close enough for him to hold. Link was too shocked to fight him and by the time Micheal had his arms around him, he was trapped.

Micheal whispered into his hair: "Why are you freaking out?"

Link: "You've changed."

Micheal: "So?"

Link: "I don't.. I just.."

Micheal sensed the emotional struggle of the man in his arms and started to rub his back in comfort. That seems to trigger Link rather than help. He lets out a small sob before saying: "Why are you doing this? This is not what friends do!"

Micheal didn't stop: "You didn't seem to mind a few minutes ago. Why are you fighting me now?"

Link: "I don't know you well enough to think that this kind of behavior is out of character.."