Chapter 35

.

"This is so out of our league"

Link found himself staring at the final submissions of the designs for their outfits for the Met Gala. Rhett was sitting next to him, obviously more confused with the designs as he was.

Link looks up at Gabby who was standing guard behind them and she shrugs before whispering: "The fanciest thing I've ever worn was a button up shirt. You're barking up the wrong tree."

Link sighs loudly before the duo turned to look desperately at Desmend who stared back at them stoically: "How did you two survive before I came into the picture?"

Rhett: "We told you this is way out of our league when you told us we have to go!"

Desmend sighs before he spreads the designs so they are all visible before he said: "As I mentioned in the email, the theme of the Gala this year is 'Mythical Creatures'. It is rumored that they picked the topic to honor you guys so we have to represent!"

Link opened his mouth to protest but Desmend puts his hand up, clearly fed up with their whiney attitude: "I know you didn't ask for it but it is an honor nonetheless. So.. all these outfits will look perfect on both of you. I've already met with the designers and their concepts are all similar. They represent an angel.." pointing at Link, "and his guardian.." pointing at Rhett.

Both men winced at that but stayed quiet.

Desmend: "I know it's a cliche at this point, but the designers want to comply with the wishes of the public. As we all know.." he glares at Link "Some of us have vicious fans."

Link throws his hands in the air: "Why are you looking at me like that? I didn't instigate the Guardian Movement." Desmend continues to glare at Link: "I was talking about Eponym, fool."

Link sinks back, feeling deflated. No one knows how deep his relationship with Micheal has gotten. They do suspect that the man is still stalking him and that Link has stopped fighting it.

Link wraps his arms around himself before he whispers defensively: "I can't control Micheal. No one can."

Desmond eyes Link, confirming some of his suspicions from his subdued reaction. He changes the topic for the time being: "The concept is set in stone. The Mythical Beasts and the Guardian Movement have spoken. These are five designers, two are high-end brands, two are affordable brands and one is a new designer. The first two are extravagant which, personally, I'm not a big fan of. I believe style doesn't need to be expensive and flashy. I would pick from these two. They're the safest bet from the finalists."

He points to the affordable brands and waits for them both to take another closer look before Link points at the last option: "What about this one?"

Desmend: "When we initially did the selection, I wanted to be fair so I covered the brand names and we picked based on the looks. But now we have to consider the brand name for the final pick. Going with a known brand, especially for your first time, is a safer option. They have experience and will be expected to perform better."

Link couldn't take his eyes off of the last option: "Umm.."

Desmond sees his hesitation: "I like this design the most, but we're not in this business for the charity. They will benefit more from us wearing their designs than we will."

Rhett: "It's not charity, Desmond. Link and I don't care about whose brand we are wearing. We do care about hard work and appreciation. You said it yourself, this person has the best designs. Just because no one recognizes the name, doesn't mean its value is less."