Chapter 19

.

Rhett sat on top of Link's bed, balancing his computer on his lap and trying his best to finish his work while keeping an eye on Link. The man sleeping under many blankets next to him was released after staying in the hospital for five days. Dr. Sandy made it very clear that Link is on strict bed rest for the next week so he can recover his strength.

Link did not complain. He was tired anyways and spent most of the time sleeping. Rhett turns to smile at the soft squeaking noises coming from the sleeping man next to him. They finally removed all the tubes and the breathing mask, leaving a pale underweight man with dark circles under his eyes. Sandy voiced her deep concerns over Link's weight and overall mental health. Rhett purses his lips when Link moves a little next to him, exposing part of his bony shoulder. The smaller man has always been on the skinny side, but his current state was scary. Barbra, who decided to nestle herself between them, moves with Link and lays her head on Link's stomach.

Link blinks his eyes open, rubs the dog's shaggy head and whispers to Rhett: "You have a bed."

Rhett smirks at him: "Your bed is more comfortable."

Link looks innocently up at him: "You want to switch mattresses? I know your back hurts a lot.. So if it helps, we can have the boys help move them."

Rhett was touched at Link's offer. The mattress he brought with him from his house was medical-grade and better for his back but he felt like if he took his eyes off of Link for one second, the smaller man would stop breathing and die. If it weren't for Eponym's warning last time..

Rhett shivers at the possibilities and shakes his head to end that dark train of thought.

Link closes his eyes, thinking that Rhett's head shake was a response to his question: "We can go mattress shopping.."

Rhett reaches over to check Link's temperature: ".. or I can stay here and hog all the blankets."

Link smacks his hand away, glaring at the taller man: "People are already talking. We don't need to fuel their fantasies by sharing a bed."

Rhett raises an eyebrow: "Seriously? That's what you have an issue with?"

Link pouts at him then settles in. Rhett returns to typing on his computer as Link watches him: "Whatcha doin?"

Rhett sighs: "Work stuff."

Link smiles: "Can I help?"

Rhett: "No."

Link: "Asshole."

Rhett huffs a laugh: "You need to find new insults."

Link sits up, wiggling closer to Rhett to peek at his screen. Rhett suddenly shuts down the laptop and turns to stare at Link: "What part of 'bed rest' do you not understand?"

Link points at the bed under them: "I am in bed!"

Rhett groans, putting the laptop away and turning to look Link in the eye: "I have good news but I need you to think about what I'm about to say before you react."

Link picks the wiggling dog and starts scratching her head as he nods.

Rhett: "I want you to meet someone. His name is Jamie Connan. He goes by the name JC."

Link: "Who's that?"

Rhett: "The final candidate for our company's CEO position."

Link's eyes widened: "I don't.. I don't understand."