Chapter 42

.

It took a while for things to settle before the doctors were comfortable enough to put the discharge option on the table. Because Link's blood was thin from his illness, the surgical cut in his stomach will take longer to close up than normal, causing him pain and discomfort. They tried different medication for it until they found one that made him comfortable.

He was sleepy and tired all the time but if that's the price he has to pay to not feel pain then he is willing to withstand it.

Rhett came back and his emotional outburst finally passed. Link was still concerned over his clinginess, but that was a problem for another day. He couldn't stop thinking about Locke, Gabby and Micheal. The boy who ran away in fear, the woman who hid from him and the stalker/friend who cut off all communication.

He was sitting one afternoon with Rhett, watching the big guy go over some paperwork on his tablet while Link spaced out from the medications. The tv was on, on mute, and something suddenly popped on it that caught both their attention.

Rhett: "Huh.."

Link: "Micheal?"

They received no response. The clock that Eponym normally posts for a countdown to his reports was visible on the tv, clear as day.

Rhett looked down at his tablet and saw the timer at the corner as expected: "I guess the weirdo is back to his old tricks."

That didn't settle well with Link.. not one bit..

Micheal hasn't done any major reports since he made one about Link. A part of Link felt anxious, wondering what more illegal things Micheal is planning to pile over the ones he already has. Another part of Link felt sadness as he wonders if this marks the end of Micheal's interest in him. As if Rhett could hear his dark thoughts, the taller man said: "Maybe he's done playing with you?"

Link started fiddling with the blanket that covered his lap nervously: "Maybe.."

Rhett eyes him: "Does that make you sad?"

Link sighs: "Yeah.."

Rhett was surprised with his forward response: "You're not even going to bother hiding it?"

Link shrugs: "I'm too tired to come up with lies.. I know that you all know how close he is to me so why bother hiding it anymore?"

Rhett sits up, glad that this topic is now open for discussion: "What is this, Link? This weird relationship you have with this man?"

Link looks sadly at the counter on the tv and whispers: "It was.. comforting. Knowing that someone out there will always believe you no matter what you do.. It's comforting.."

Rhett: "I believe you.."

Link looks sadly at him: "You need me, but you don't always believe me."

Rhett looks away in shame: "I already apologized.."

Link huffs a laugh: "I know. It's a tough ask; believing in someone blindly. I don't know if I believe you like that either. But he does. No one can blame me for getting attached to him because of it."

Rhett sighs loudly: "He's a criminal, Link. You cannot associate with him willingly."

Link glares at him: "He saved me."

Rhett nods his head, subtly admitting defeat: "He did."

.

Link kept staring at the counter like it was counting down the minutes to his friendship to Micheal. The uncertainty of their relationship, the radio silence from the stalker and the fact that Link felt guilty asking Micheal to fix his problems piled on the sick man and made him stressed out.