Chapter 38

.

Link felt broken.

His body, his spirit and his will to live were pulling apart at the seams.

A few days have passed, and the torrent of questions from Rhett and Gabby morphed into disappointment while the events of that night stayed engraved in his mind.

He was cocooned in blankets, laying on the couch in the living room while watching Shepherd and Lando build a LEGO fort with their combined loot of blocks. He wanted to get up and play with them. He wanted to hug and kiss them. He wanted to laugh and be a better father to them.

He couldn't.

He felt like being in their presence was like tainting them.

He felt dirty, useless and weak.

He was truly broken.

The world around him didn't stop like it did that night.

Like Rhett and Micheal predicted, photos of him at the Gala broke the internet and made records on social media. Most of the top hashtags were about him and Stefani's awkward moments. Not to mention the laughing instant with Rhett and the photographers.

Link couldn't care less which frustrated Rhett and Desmond to no end.

They wanted him to enjoy the attention and the praise that followed their first outing but all he could think of is the tragic ending that led him to flee like a coward.

Rhett was especially bitter about that part.

He poked and jabbed at his friend with passive aggressive comments. Link didn't have it in him to keep lying and deflecting so he just took it all and bottled it up.

His murky train of thoughts were interrupted when he felt someone sit next to his feet and he subconsciously pulled them away. Locke looked nervously at him and Link sensed that the teenager wanted to talk.

He sat up and forced a smile: "What's up, Locke?"

The boy turned to look at the younger boys who were having a debate over the structure they were building before he said: "Uncle Link, how did you manage to stay friends with dad for so long?"

Link frowns: "Why do you ask?"

Locke sighs loudly before resting his head back: "I can't find decent friends in school! Everyone I meet wants something from me! Why is it so hard?"

Link felt his hand move to pat the shoulder of the anguished teenager but stopped short of making contact. He hesitantly tucked his hand back into the bundle of blankets he was wrapped in before he said: "What happened to your old friends?"

Locke turned to look at him sadly: "One moved away and the other one's girlfriend doesn't like me so he kind of ditched me."

Link: "That sucks."

Lock groans: "Tell me about it.. I've tried hanging out with different people for the past few months but they're all weird.. And not in a good way."

Link thinks about it for a second then says: "What are your expectations when you start a friendship?"

Locke: "I don't know.. Maybe something like you and dad?"

Link huffs a laugh: "What Rhett and I have is rare and built on a lot of compromises and mishaps. We don't agree on a lot of things but we work hard to maintain our relationship."

Locke: "I don't mind working hard. But most of the people I met recently want something from me!"

Link: "You think your dad doesn't want something from me or I don't want something from him? Every relationship is a give and take. You set the tone to what you're willing to give and respect what the other person is allowing you to take."