Chapter 57

.

Michael was gone for exactly 9 minutes. One thing led to another and he rushed back as soon as he was able only to find himself faced with the most bizarre scene. Even in his wildest imagination, this would never come up as a possibility.

Link was kneeling between Zan's legs, trying to pick a place to put a strip of clear tape on the man's face. Zan was covered with so much tape, Michael didn't know how he could see or breathe.

Link had his tongue stuck out, putting all the concentration he had left into finding the best spot for the tape with his one functioning hand. Zan had his hands on Link's waist to keep him steady while he waited patiently.

Michael was speechless.

He has known Zan for 11 years and this is the first time he has ever seen him allow anyone to be close enough, let alone help them be near his person. His hold on Link was nothing short of protectiveness over the sick man.

Michael turned to yell at Meraz: "I told you to keep an eye on them!"

Meraz, who was staring at them in disbelief, replied in a breathy shocked voice: "I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I've never been more confused in my life.."

Link's face brightened when he noticed Michael's presence. He instantly squished Zan's taped up face with his one working hand and pulled him close before declaring to his friend: "Michael, I'm keeping this one!"

Michael puts his hands up, feeling fear for his angel fills his body. He talks with a calm, slow demeanor like he was trying to tame a wild bear: "Charles.. I don't know if you heard me. The man you're squishing right now is a contract killer. A. Contract. Killer!"

Link hooks his arm around Zan's head until he is hugging him to his chest: "I don't care! Do you know how hard it is to find someone who sucks at games more than me! It's been years.. YEARS! Since I won anything. I'm keeping this one!"

Michael looks fearfully at Zan who seems calm and content being in Link's arms. The hacker didn't know what to do. He needed to get Link out of Zan's reach as soon as possible. He couldn't predict what the big guy would do if he suddenly decides that he doesn't like it. He stepped closer and tried again: "Charles, how about I show you the rest of the house?"

Link hooked his other casted hand around Zan's back to keep him close in defiance: "Can Zan come?"

Michael shoots a cautious look at Zan and the big man seems like he's enjoying Link's attention. This was a new territory for all of them. The contract killer has never shown any interest in anyone or anything ever before. He was apathetic and uninterested most of the time or in the kill zone when he's handed a new task.

Link must have misunderstood the situation, leaning his head on top of Zan, staking his claim on his new friend: "Michael, you need to learn how to share.."

Michael sighs loudly, starting to get frustrated: "That's not it.. Charles.."

He was cut off when Link's eyes shifted from him to something behind him. The sick man lands fully in Zan's lap, seemingly taken aback by what he's seeing. Michael turns to check out what frightened his angel only to see the last occupant in the house has finally shown up.

Link grabs a handful of Zan's shirt out of confusion. He asks in a breathy voice: "Is that.. a lion?"

Zan puts his arm around Link's back to keep him in place and reassure him that he's safe.

A huge white lion with blue eyes calmly enters the living room and stops near the door. It sensed the new addition to the house and was staring at Link like he was a person of interest. Michael was stuck between wanting to remove Link from the human killer or protecting Link from the animal killer in their house.