Chapter 54

.

"Mr. Neal.. I was surprised when I received a memo about your participation in our event. I didn't expect your involvement.. Given your situation."

A bold middle aged man that Desmond just introduced to Link as the head chairman on the anti-cyber bullying foundation committee: Fred Deek. Link regretted shaking his hand the moment he heard the words that came out of the man's mouth: "My situation?"
Deeks tried to hide the look of disgust under the politician's fake smile but they all saw through it: "You are heavily involved with the most notorious cyber-bully of all time, correct?"
Link can play this game too, he just has to keep it civil. After all, his daughter was standing next to him. He smiles sweetly at him: "Who am I 'involved heavily' with exactly?"

Desmond, who was shadowing Link, said to Deeks in a low threatening voice: "I wouldn't say his name, Mr. Deeks. That manice is like Bloody Mary."
Deeks squared his shoulders in defiance: "Fear is what feeds the dominance that bullies exert on the weak. Eponym have taken many victims. Supporting him means you're against our core values."

Lily tightens her hold on her dad's arm to cut him off: "We would know. My dad is one of his victims. What is it that you're accusing my father with exactly?"
Deeks clears his throat, not impressed with them: "I'm not accusing anyone, young initiate. Just stating facts."
Lily pulls up her phone and shows him something: "How about this fact: according to our bully-track which is part of our foundation website, my father is the most talked about person on the internet in a negative light. So tell me, Mr. Head Chairman. Shouldn't you be welcoming my father as a strong lead example of someone who persevered through severe bullying instead of accusing him of collusion?"

Mr. Deeks coughs a little before he says to Link: "You have a head strong daughter.."
Link raises his eyebrow at him: "I didn't come here to create trouble. I came as a proud father. I don't care about your opinion of me."

Link pulls his daughter along and pats the flustered man's shoulder as he passes him by and whispers: "For someone who advocates for tolerance and equality, you have no problem with looming your power and prejudice over others.."

He walked away before the man could respond. Lily looks worriedly at her dad: "Sorry, dad. I didn't expect people to be this mean to you.. Especially in a place like this.."

Link turns towards her: "Who cares about what they think? I just wish they would get over their bull crap and focus on telling me about all the amazing things you did."
Lily blushes and leans closer to her dad: "I didn't do much.."
Link smiles at her: "I doubt that! Show me all the cool stuff you helped out with.."

Lily was more than happy with dragging him around, showing him every single detail she made, helped plan and the accomplishment she did with her friends as part of this foundation.

Link couldn't help but feel proud. His daughter beamed with happiness while he was content with listening to her, watching her light up with energy as she explained to him how she's fixing the world. He doesn't remember the last time he felt this content.

His line of thought was cut off when he felt Desmond tap on his shoulder and whisper: "The news caught up with our presence here. I will step outside to handle this as planned."
Link nods without turning around.

Link was getting tired even though he didn't want this perfect moment to end. He's been on his feet, mingling, listening and walking for hours now. He gently grabs Lily's hand to stop her: "Lily, can we sit down for a bit. I need to recharge a little."
Lily instantly ushered him to their table where the twins were taking refuge. Daniel sees them first: "You guys are finally back!"
Jessica points to the pile of paper and stuff on the table: "People have been dropping stuff for you to sign, Mr. Neal."