Chapter 61

.

Adonis nods his head eagerly, hanging off of every word Link was saying. The sick man can see in the corner of his eye that Drake has moved closer to them, also eager to hear the advice Link is willing to offer his son.

Link: "First, you look for someone who shares one thing with you: an opinion, a hobby, an interest.. Anything that can start a conversation and keep the conversation going. Second, for a friendship to work, you have to sometimes do stuff the other person likes to do and they, in return, will do stuff you like. Third, as much as they trust you, you have to trust them in return. Fourth, don't pretend or lie to them. If you feel uncomfortable with something, say it. If you feel sad or angry, talk it out with them. In return, you have to listen when they come to you with their thoughts and feelings. And last but the most important rule is.."

He leans in to empathize the importance: "When you become friends with someone, all their friends become your friends too!"

Adonis' mouth hangs open: "Really?"

Link smiles at him: "Yup! So when you become my friend, all my friends can be your friends too. I just have to introduce you to them."

Adonis seems skeptical: "What if they don't like me or don't want to be friends with me?"

Link shakes his head: "That's not possible. Do you know why?"

Adonis: "Why?"

Link: "Because of the five rules of friendship, my friends and I share the same values, ethics and views. We represent each other and respect each other's choices. They trust that if I pick a person to be our friend then they must be just like us and will fit in perfectly within our circle."

Adonis took a few seconds to mull the new information Link just shared with him. The older man waited patiently while he watched his new small friend draw circles on his cast with his small curious fingers.

After a few seconds the boy looks up with determination shining through his eyes: "If we become friends, your friends will also be my friends?"

Link smiles at him: "Yup!"

That seems to make the boy hopeful: "Do you have a lot of friends?"

Link cockes his head, pretending to think: "Um.. Not a lot but the ones I have are amazing. I am sure you will like them."

Adonis nods his head: "Does that mean we have to find something in common first so we can be friends?"

Link could barely hold himself from squishing the cuteness out of this boy. He couldn't understand how people surrounding him would have a hard time communicating with him.

Link: "Yup!"

Adonis seems to be at a loss for a few seconds and looks down at the casted hand he's playing with: "What's this?"

Link: "It's a cast. I broke my hand a few weeks back and this will help it heal properly."

Adonis looks up in worry after pulling his hands away: "Sorry! Does it hurt?"

Link puts his hands down, grateful for the boy's concern: "Not really. It just itches sometimes or when I forget and hit it on something really hard."

Looking at his cast, Link remembers something and says excitedly: "I don't like this plain old white cast. I love art and unique designs and I heard that you're an amazing artist. Since we're looking for something in common.. Maybe.."

He points at Adonis with a big smile: "..You can help me out with coloring it! Is that something you'd be interested in?"

The joy that radiated from Adonis's smile was worth the stupid stunt Micheal put Link through to get him here. The little boy didn't waste a second and sprung up, pulling Link with him and dragging him away. Drake followed, stuck between being shocked by how easily Link befriended his son and curious about where his son is dragging the sick man to.