Chapter 44

.

Link didn't know what's going on.

Gabby suggested the day before that they leave the hospital just before dawn to avoid the media and the crowd that's still stationed outside the hospital. Link was still on heavy medication but since all is well, the doctor agreed to let him out to recuperate at home. Because of his blood condition, they expected the wound in he abdomen to take longer than normal to close up and keeping him cooped up was not an option Link was willing to consider.

They compromised with strict bed rest and no heavy lifting and Link agreed to it. It's not like he can do much with the amount of drugs they keep pumping through his veins. He secretly feels like they're doing it on purpose to keep him docile. He wouldn't put it past Greg to ask for it. That man is the definition of sadism.

They woke him up in the middle of the night and wheeled him out and into a car with tinted windows. The whole ordeal felt like he was moving under water. People were talking to him, asking him questions and guiding him places but he was so out of it that he didn't even notice when they finally stopped and Rhett gently guided him outside.

His tall friend walked him over to a bench and made him sit while he kneeled in front of him: "Link, are you with me?"

Link felt like there was something wrong. That made him more alert to his surroundings. He looked around for a second realizing that they were not home.

He whispers: "Where are we?"

Rhett gently grabs his shoulders to get his attention: "You asked me to trust you."

Link stared at Rhett, confused with this odd affirmation: "Yeah..?"

Rhett smiles at him: "I don't trust the bastard, but you do. And I trust you."

Before Link could ask any more questions, Gabby chimes in from the back: "For the record, I don't trust the bastard either!"

Link frowns: "The bastard?"

Rhett pats his arm: "We made a deal, and he wants to cash in now. He promised to bring you back in a few hours so I'll see you home then, ok?"

Link has never been more confused in his life. He had so many questions but his brain felt like it was lagging and he was stuck not knowing what to ask first. Before he could decide, an old woman walks up casually to them and sits next to Link, giving him a warm smile like she was expecting to meet him here.

Rhett eyes her suspiciously and asks: "If anything happens to him.."

The old woman shifts her gaze to the taller man, pinning him with a warning glare: "Young man, don't make threats you cannot fulfill. A promise is a promise."

They glare at each other for a few seconds before Rhett pats Link's arm one last time and gets up to leave, pulling a hesitant Gabby with him.

Link watched them go in confusion as they got back into the car and left him behind.

Before he can question his sanity, the old lady says in a gentle voice: "Young angel, do you feel better now?"

Link turns to look at her with wide eyes, clearing his voice: "Yes. Thank you for asking, ma'am."

She chuckles at his politeness and pats his knee affectionately: "You can call me Mrs. Smith.. Or grandma.. I would love it if you'd call me grandma!"

Link huffs a laugh. Whoever this woman is, she's so sweet.

A sudden voice broke the conversation and brought a shiver down Link's spine: "Charles.."

The sick man felt his whole body tingle with so many emotions, washing the fatigue away.