Chapter 49

.

It's been a long day and Link has been anxious for most of it. He felt relief with the talk he had in the office and he truly believes that this is a turning point for the best. He was just not sure how Micheal would react to what he said or how they roped him into that intense conversation.

After dinner, he made sure that everyone had their school work done and were ready to bed before he found himself in his room and ready to face the music.

He sat on the bed and looked at his phone like it somehow offended him.

Micheal's laughing voice emanates from the dark screen: "Why are we staring at the phone like it committed a crime?"

Link: "Are you mad at me?"

Micheal: "Why would I ever be mad at you?"

Link: "I kinda cornered you today. I'm sorry."

Micheal: "Never apologize to me, my angel. I overstepped my boundary but I won't apologize for protecting you. I never hid my intentions when it comes to this relationship and I honestly don't care how anyone perceives it as long as you're happy, healthy and safe."

Link: "I wasn't happy when you took control over the studio."

Micheal: "I won't do that again."

Link finally smiles: "I believe you."

He leans down to look at the dark screen: "Why can't I see you?"

Micheal's face appear instantly and he smiles at Link: "Better?"

Link huffs a laugh: "It makes me feel special knowing that I'm the only one who kinda knows you. Also, I think Rhett is starting to get jealous of you."

Micheal smirks: "I would be jealous too if I were in his shoes.."

.

After that day, things have progressed smoothly in the co-runned house. Rhett has started taking a more active role in the house while Link tries his best to maintain a steady work flow at the office. They had a check-in meeting every week to mark their progress and Link was truly starting to feel more in control as they worked more on it.

He started eating better after Greg and Josh asked for his preferences every week before planning his meals. Desmond had a talk with the security team and Gabby started taking a more proactive approach with Link, letting him control the narrative of when they go and where they go. She didn't even stop him when he asked if he could drive the car to work as long as someone was with him. They compromised and it seems to make their life settle into a comfortable peace.

.

It's been 5 months since the talk they had.

Rhett has had a bad back day and was on his way back from a morning chiropractor appointment. The moment he set his foot into the house, he felt like he just entered a war zone.

Link, who was screaming at the top of his lungs: "SHEPARD! It's not a CHOICE! GET WITH THE PROGRAM!"

The young boy almost ran his dad over while running away: "NO! I hate shopping! I don't wanna!"

Link who was running after him holding his shoes: "NO ONE LIKES SHOPPING! DON'T make this difficult! We go in, we buy what we need then we go out!"

Rhett manages to grab Link as he passes by and watches as Lily and Locke finally catch up to the wayward parent.

Lily leans on her knees, says between labored breaths: "Dad! You're not supposed to run around like that!"

Locke who took the shoes from Link says: "I got it, Uncle Link. Just.. please sit down."