Chapter 11

.

Sandy shows up a few seconds later and checks him over. She calls dispatch and an ambulance brings a tank of O2 into the house.

Rhett showed up and saw the ambulance at the front and almost broke his leg running in. He banged the door open and ran upstairs.

He found Link, with a nasal cannula, leaning forward as Sandy was checking his breathing with a stethoscope.

Link blinks in confusion at the look of panic on Rhett's face: "What? Why do you look like someone ate your dog?"

Rhett leans on his knees to catch his breath then points at Link: "Ambulance outside.."

Sandy turns to look at Rhett: "He has shortness of breath. I called them to get the oxygen tanks. It's not a big deal."

Link laughs at his friend as he drags himself to sit on the chair near the bed: "You ran up one flight of stairs and you're that winded?"

Rhett glares at him: "Shut up."

Sandy puts a few pillows behind Link so he can stay sitting up and says: "It's a common side effect of the drugs. It should get better soon. For now, leave the nasal cannula on."

Rhett eyes the doctor as she removes the line connected to Link's port and packs up to leave.

Link smiles at Rhett: "Did you get Sushi?"

Rhett frowns at him: "Why would I get Sushi?"

Link frowns back: "What did you get?"

Rhett grabs the bag he almost dropped on his way up: "This weird bowl thing you told me to get. You texted me the address."

Link: "I didn't."

Rhett takes out his phone and opens his text history.

Link itches the tubes under his nose: "The FBI still has my phone. I didn't send this."

Rhett grabs his phone and storms downstairs: "Gabby, did you send this?"

Gabby takes the phone to look at it then frowns: "No."

She signals to one of the men standing by and says: "Get me Link's phone."

Her boss-voice sent shivers down Rhett's spine.

She turns and puts her hand up: "Give me the food you picked up."

He handed her the bag and she took out the content: "Did you order this or just pick it up?"

Rhett: "I just picked it up. It was under Link's name."

She found a napkin with a note on it and whispered: "Bastard.."

Rhett steps close to read it.

"My Angel,

You haven't eaten well in days.

I hope this hearty meal makes you feel better.

Your guardian,

Eponym."

She gently opens the container.

Rhett steps closer to smell it: "It smells like serial. Link likes cereal."

Gabby takes a spoon and moves the content around to see if there is anything inside: "It's oatmeal."

She hands it over to one of the suited men and he takes the note as well.