Chapter 17

.

Rhett woke up with a start.

The glaring lights and loud noises coming from his phone almost gave him a heart attack. He fumbles around to see what the hell is going on with his phone and blinks a few times to read the message on his screen: "Help! The angel is in trouble!"

Rhett throws the bed covers to the side, jumping out of bed and running towards Link's room. He almost ran over Dax, Gabby's right hand man, in his haiste to get to Link. They found the smaller man curled up in his bed, covered in cold sweat and struggling to breathe. When Rhett turned on the light, they were both alarmed by how pale Link was.

Rhett kneeled next to Link's bed, gently smoothing his sweaty hair back and trying to wake up his friend: "Link? Come one, man. Wake up!"

Link's face was scrunched up in pain. He was not responding to Rhett as he struggled to take in a decent breath.

Dax, a giant blond white man who's as tall as Rhett with muscles for days, saw Link's lips were turning blue and started barking orders into his earpiece. He scoops up the sick man in his arms, rushes out towards the door.

Rhett followed, stunned at the agent's fast response and worried about his friend. Dax laid Link in the middle seat, with his head in Rhett's lap and his feet on Dax. Another agent sat in the back, handing Dax medical stuff as another sat at the front, relaying to emergency dispatch Dax's orders.

Rhett silently watched as Dax placed an oxygen mask on Link's face, ripped his friend's sleeping shirt and started attaching things to his chest.

It felt like Rhett's world was ending before his eyes and he was too stunned to do anything but witness it crash all around him.

They reached the emergency room and Link was whisked away.

Rhett sat in the waiting area, staring at his feet.

In his haste to follow the agent carrying his friend outside the house, he forgot to wear pants and was now sitting in his boxers with two mismatched shoes.. One of them was Link's shoe and it did not even fit.

He felt a few tears escape his eyes as he ducks his head, pulling the small hairs at the back of his skull.

This cannot be happening..

Link was fine a few hours ago..

He saw Sandy run in front of him, still in her PJs and a messy bun. She bodily slams into the emergency room doors and he can faintly hear her barking orders before the doors fully close.

Gabby sat next to Rhett 10 minutes later and handed him a bag: "People are complaining.."

Rhett huffs a laugh: "They should be paying to see me in my underwear."

Gabby smiles sadly at him: "How is he?"

Rhett rubs his face tiredly: "I don't know. No one came out to update me."

Gabby whispers into her earpiece and then says: "He's stabilizing. They will move him to ICU in a few minutes."

Rhett frowns: "ICU?"

Gabby looks to the side, listening to Dax relay the information he's getting while standing guard inside: "Precaution. They want to keep an eye on him for 24 hours."

Rhett looks worriedly at her: "But, he's ok? He won't die?"

Gabby smiles: "He will be fine. We got to him on time."