Chapter 60

.

Drake puts his hand on the gun of the guard next to him, asking him with his actions to hold off the shooting for now. He asks hesitantly: "The lion is yours?"

Link nods: "He's my friend."

Drake pushes the gun away, asking them to stand down.

Link whispers to Sam: "They saved me, Sam. Calm down. They won't hurt us. We like them."

Sam gives the guards one last glare before he settles down, rubbing his head on Link's lap while still keeping an eye on the other occupants in the car.

Link lets out a dramatic loud sigh as the tension finally evades his body. He was too old for this shit and the moment they get home, Michael is going to pay for this unnecessary show of power and influence.

Drake huffs a laugh: "And here I thought my life was eventful.."

Link huffs a laugh back: "You don't know the half of it.."

Drake puts his hand out, looking warily at the lion but still choosing to offer his hospitality: "I'm Drake. It's an honor to finally meet you.."

Link reaches awkwardly with the un-casted hand and grabs the offered welcome: "Link.. The honor is all mine.."

He stuttered as an afterthought: ".. and sorry.. About your concert.. I didn't know Michael was going to do that.."

Drake leans his elbows on his knees, eyes sparkling with excitement: "Are you kidding? That was epic! I just said your name in a song and you came out of nowhere! People will be talking about this for ages!"

Link rubs his chest, still waiting for his racing heart to stop freaking out: "Still.. It wasn't cool to crash your party without permission."

Drake waves it off: "Don't worry about it, man. The crowd got a surprise guest, I got to meet you and the media got something to talk about.. It's a good day."

Sam raises his head, looking at Link with worry and bumping his nose on his chest. Link closes his eyes, feeling the adrenaline rush withdrawal sap the remainder of his energy. He knows that the lion can sense his racing heart and pats his head to reassure him: "It's ok.. I know.. I know."

Drake frowns: "What's wrong?"

Link whispers: "My heart is racing.."

He opens a hidden compartment fridge and takes out a cold bottle of water: "Drink this. It will help."

Link thanks him and sips the water slowly. It did help calm him down.

One of the guards asks: "Sir, is there somewhere specific you want us to take you?"

Link's heart that just calmed down did a flip in his chest.

He had no money, no phone and no ID.

He didn't know anyone in New York.

He looked down at the bear sized white lion in his lap and felt dread wash over him. He can ask them to drop him off anywhere but thanks to Michael, the whole world knows his face and if he somehow was able to hide it, he cannot hide Sam even if he tried.

People are going to eat him alive before Michael or the cops could get to him.

What the hell was he supposed to do?

He looks fearfully at the guard and stutters: "Umm.. maybe.. the airport.. please?"

Drake frowns at the odd request. He, like the whole world, saw a photo of his ID blasted in the news with the ones collected for the deceased. He heard about his heroic deeds and knows for a fact that Link didn't have a phone on him because it was recovered from the wreck.