Chapter 41

.

Link drifted in and out of consciousness in the next few days. He wasn't as lucid as the first time he woke up but he got a chance to see his kids and reassure them that all is well. They youngsters were not told about the lost kidney. They thought that Link went for a treatment that required surgery and he will be back home soon. The older two were told some details and they were super clingy during visiting hours.

Everyone fussed over Link and he thought he would enjoy it but it was getting on his nerves. He was pissed at Michael who hasn't said a word since he woke up, granted that he was never alone courtesy of his overprotective friends. He was worried about Gabby who kept busy elsewhere and hasn't visited him. Rhett told him that she passed by but somehow he was 'conveniently' always asleep when she did.

He was worried about Locke and what the teen might do after knowing what he knew. Rhett refused to tell him the details of the deal he and Gabby made with Micheal but somehow that's the least of his worry at the moment.

On the third day, he threw an epic tantrum, kicking his giant friend out and demanding that he go home, showers and not return until the next day. Somehow, Greg took that as a sign that he can spend the night with Link on Rhett's behalf.

Link was cranky as hell from the drugs and being cooped up in this hell hole while still feeling pain from the hole they cut in the abdomen to find the bleeding organ and take it out. He shifted in his bed for the millionth time around dinner time. Greg who was sitting next to him and playing video games with his tongue sticking out from excitement said: "Stop wiggling like a warm under the rain."

Link barked at him: "Screw you, Greg! Go home!"

Greg lets out a laugh, aware of how annoying he is at the moment: "But I miss quality time with my Linkypoo!" He puts down his phone and leans in to stare into the glaring eyes of his sick charge: "Your deep blue eyes haunted my dreams and now I need compensation for the time lost while you were sleeping."

Link blinked at him then said: "Did I die? Is this hell?"

Greg bursts out in laughter then stands, stretching his arms above his head then puts his hand in front of Link: "Let's go."

Link blinks up at him in confusion. He hasn't done more than sit up in bed in the past few days and that left him tired. What does this big weirdo expect of him?

Greg noticed the look of confusion and said: "Your doctor wants you to sit up and walk around a bit." Link sighs, patting his hand away: "I'm too tired. Maybe tomorrow."

Greg was not having it. He pulled the blankets off and manhandled Link into a sitting position: "It's not up for debate."

The world dimmed around Link for a few seconds and he was extremely lightheaded. He whispered with a stuttered breath: "Sss stop.."

Greg had a good grip on his shoulders while disconnecting the wires and reconnecting the breathing tubes to a portable pole: "I don't know about you, but I got used to working from home and developed an aversion to hospitals. The faster you recover the more likely they will let us out of this joint."

Link snapped back: "You work here, asshole!"

Greg continues to laugh: "Yeah, I work here but you're my job now. Wherever you go, I go. So get your skinny ass up because I've been dying to show you something."

Link felt his legs were heavier than led and didn't feel an ounce of shame when he leaned heavily on the persistent nurse. He felt waves of pain shoot their way up from his stomach and he choked: "It hurts.."