Chapter 32

.

Link got out of the shower only to find Rhett's dog waiting for him just outside the bathroom door. Barbra has been sticking to his side ever since the McLaughlins moved in. Sometimes, Link enjoys spoiling her and sometimes.. it hurts a little because she reminds him of Jade.

Barbra barks following him happily as he makes his way down the stairs to see why the house is suspiciously quiet. The house was empty except for some clanks and shuffles coming from the kitchen so he went to see who's there.

Barbra got excited and ran between his feet as he entered the kitchen, making him almost trip and fall on his face. Someone grabbed him by the waist, steadying him before he face-planted on the kitchen floor.

He felt a wave of dizziness from the sudden movement wash over him and he closed his eyes until it passed. He whispered to whomever held him steady while he collected himself: "Thank you."

He didn't get a response, so he opened his eyes to see who it was and his eyes widened in surprise: "Oh.. my.. God.."

Gabby frowned at his reaction and was confused for a second before she realized why he was reacting this way. Even though she's been living in Link's house for the past few months, she has kept her appearance between semi-professional while they were indoors to professional whenever they left the house. She didn't know any other way when it came to dealing with people. She doesn't have that many friends outside of work and never felt comfortable with any of her previous roommates.

The house was empty.

Rhett took the kids to a nearby park with Dax to play so they don't disturb the sick sleeping man. Greg assured her that the medicine he gave Link would knock him out most of the day so she didn't expect him to come downstairs anytime soon. This is the first time he ever sees her in a comfortable short and a slightly large shirt.. With her hair open. She felt dread wash over her as she realized that Link was staring at her hair..

All her life, people kept telling her that she has to keep her curly hair tamed. That it was not acceptable to let loose her God-given afro, especially while at work. She never was into weaves or wigs like most of the black women her age tend to wear to blend in, so she kept it slick, tied and out of the way most of the time.

They stood there for a solid few minutes, as she kept her hold on his waist while she stared at Link and he openly stared back at her hair. A wide smile spread over Link's face as he finally whispered: "Wow!"

Gabby did not expect that.

She didn't even expect the look of wonder and adoration he finally gave her once thier eyes finally met. He whispers: "Your hair is gorgeous.."

She huffs a laugh, a little bit thrown off by his reaction. No one ever called her hair 'gorgeous' before and meant it. She didn't know how to react. When he returned to stare at her hair, turning his eyes left and right, trying to see every part of it, she did something stupid and whispered back: "You want to touch it?"

Link covered his mouth when an excited squeak came out.. like he couldn't contain his happiness. He whispers shyly: "May I?"

Gabby felt her heart leap in a mix of happiness and overwhelming fondness. This is honestly the best moment of her adult life. She gently pulled the hands covering Link's mouth and placed them on her hair as a silent invitation.

Link was amazed.

He has seen afro hair before but for some reason, seeing it on Gabby made her look more magical. It fit her so well to the point where he felt it was a crime that she keeps it hidden. He gently pulled one of the curls and let it go, watching it bounce back as his smile widened even more. He is officially in love with Gabby's hair. He can't get enough of it.