Chapter 5

.

Rhett stayed on the couch, staring into the void for many hours. For the life of him, he couldn't figure out what the hell happened to him during the past seven months. It was like his consciousness was hibernating while his body was going through the motions. Link took care of their family while he did nothing but make his life miserable. He vowed to pick up the slack and reconnect with his sons.

His line of thought was interrupted by a gentle knock on the door. He looked up to see Lily standing in her PJs, looking sadly at him: "Uncle Rhett, can I talk to you?"

Rhett pats the couch next to him: "Can't sleep?"

Lily sits down and avoids eye contact: "I need your help."

Rhett frowns: "What is it?"

Lily seems to be struggling with her words and after a few seconds, she stands up and points to the door: "It's better if I show you."

Rhett's frown deepened. The teenage girl was acting weird. He sorta wished that Link was here. The man had a sixth sense while dealing with the kids.

He followed her as she led him upstairs and into her parents room.

Rhett whispers to her: "What are we doing here?"

Lily stops in the middle of the room and says: "When mom died, I kinda lashed out at dad and blamed him for her death. I was so mean to him but he never yelled at me or grounded me so I kept doing it. About five months ago, I snuck in here to steal one of mom's dresses.. Cuz I couldn't remember how she smelled and it freaked me out.."

Rhett moves closer to the mumbling girl and pats her shoulder: "It's ok."

Lily looks up at him with tear filled eyes: "That's not it.. I found something I don't think I'm supposed to see.. I don't know what to do about it.."

She moves past Rhett and opens the small closet that has her mother's clothes.

Rhett's breath caught in his lungs.

He thought it was odd that the bed was stripped off it's bedding but now it all made sense.

It was all laid out at the bottom of the closet; blankets and pillows. His friend was literally hiding in a closet every day, under his dead wife's clothes.

The inside of the closet door was filled with notes. Both doors were over filled with fully written letters to the point where there was no more space and notes were stuck over each other.

Lily whispered: "He writes to her everyday."

Rhett felt his body shiver.

Lily pulled out a note and said: "I don't think my dad is doing ok. I come here every morning when he's busy making breakfast to read his notes. I feel so guilty knowing how much he's hurting but not knowing what to do but read these.."

She hands him the note and Rhett reads it:

"My love,

It's been 153 days since we last saw each other.

It's been a long day. The kids are finally doing better. Lando cracked a joke and when I heard his laughter, it made my heart melt. Lincoln and Locke are doing better at school since we started a study session before dinner. I think they just needed some quality time since we mostly end up just talking about other stuff anyways. I'm glad they're opening up to me.

Lily wants to cut her hair short and I don't know if I should say something. I know we talked about her being old and having some kind of freedom. Her blond hair reminds me of you.