CHAPTER 48: ZUBAIDA

As early as 8:00am Zubaida came out of their room dressed in brown and white Ankara that was sewn into shirt and blouse, on her head was a wee veil. She walked towards her mother’s room as she pushed a box containing her clothes. In her left hand was a brown hand bag.

She wasn’t able to walk properly due to the tight cloth she wore. If looked closely at, one could notice how she was finding it hard to breath as well. She halted at the door “Mama!” She called out to her mother who has just finished praying subhi prayer.

“Zubaida lafiya (hope all is well)? The mother asked immediately she  came face to face with her daughter who was standing with her hand on her waist “where are you going to this early morning? Don’t tell me you are going to that stupid man’s h…”

“ that’s my problem with you Mama, you easily jump into conclusion without listening to what one has to say. Sha! Me I have pondered over that issue we discussed yesterday and the best thing I could come up with is to go stay at the idiots house (her uncle’s house) that way I will be able to monitor his moves and I could get some relevant information from his good for nothing sisters” She explained to her mother.

“that’s why you are my daughter. Do you have bike money or should I give you some change from the money I removed from your father’s pocket yesterday.”

“I heard that Khadijat” aunty Khadijat’s husband who was getting ready for work yelled from inside the room “give me back my money or you and your children will die of hunger, I see no reason why you should be stealing my money. And you Zubaida” he turned to his daughter “you are not going anywhere.”

“Abba! Ba fa yawon banza zani ba fa, gidan kawu Abdullahi zani (I’m not going out just like that, I’m only going to uncle Abdullahi’s house).” She whined

“Koma gidan kakan ki ne, baza ki ba (even though its your grandfather’s house you are not going)” He replied her in annoyance “your mates are in school while you are here roaming from one man’s room to the other. If you are not in this town today you will be in that town tomorrow, Zubaida ki ji tsoron duniya da abin cikin ta (fear this world and the worldly things in it)”

“I didn’t steal your money, what belongs to you also belongs to me your wife and about Zubaida, you can’t stop her from going to my brother’s house, that house is equally her hous…”

“is equally her house? How on earth is it her house? Tana da  gado ne ko kuwa Alhaji Abdullahi ya bata kaso ne (does she have anything to inherit or did Alhaji Abdullahi gave her something out of his wealth)?” he looked perplexed.

“ko daya (none) and that will not stop her from going” she snapped at her husband.

“I pity you and your daughter. I fear the day this world will turn back at you. No good mother will train her children the way you did. Why are you teaching your daughter how to destroy the beautiful life that poor boy is trying to start. and you Zubaida you have eyes to see things that are happening around you, you are wise enough to know what is right and wrong for you, don’t let your mother mislead you.”

“kai Mallam! it is okay like that! You just said it now that Zubaida is wise enough to know what is good or wrong, she chose to go to her uncle’s house which is the right thing for her. Why then are you complaining? Uhm! Why are you complaining? Mtcheew” she hissed “oya better pikin, come and be going before the sun come out and your beautiful color will fade and you will start looking ugly.”

“Khadijat you should know that benevolence towards one parents is Wajib (Mandatory) in Islam…”

“Father and mother is what makes up parents, I’m her mother and I carried her pregnancy for nine months so, I have every right to tell her what to do and she’s going to my brother’s house if you like go and bring her back.” She dragged the box and held Zubaida’s hand “muje (lets go)”