CHAPTER 54: PERMISSION

My phone began to ring and it seems it was Jam Jam, I was happy. At least talking to her will make me feel better and forget my problems for some time.

Me: kawa ta (my friend) how far.

Jam Jam: fine! How are you doing?

Me: fine! How is everyone at home?

Jam Jam: all fine girl. I just called to remind you that next tomorrow is Fatimah Ahmed’s wedding (she was our course mate back then in school),  Swalaha and Mairo are also coming.

Me: ‘I can’t wait to see all those beautiful faces, I miss them all’ that was what I intended saying  but instead I said “wow! I totally forgot. Allah shi kaimu (May Allah spare our lives) but I don’t think I can make it to the wedding”

Jam Jam: why!

Me: nothing. I just don’t feel like attending the wedding anymore but if I change my mind I will let you know.

Jam Jam: better don’t miss that wedding! And we are planning on hanging out with the girls after the wedding.

Me: yes boss.

Jan Jam: go away! who is your boss?

Me: you of course.

Jam Jam: so you wish. Bye, I want to go to the saloon, my hair needs to be washed.
Talking about saloon made me remember what I was missing outside the world. At first, I was enjoying every bit of the lock down because I literarily don’t do anything aside chatting with friends, reading novels on wattpad, cooking and playing games with his sisters. There was never a dull moment with his sisters around but after 3 weeks everything became boring and frustrating.

I decided to do most of the work in the house just to relieve myself from thinking but I end up feeling like a house girl in my in-law’s house so I stopped. What frustrated me most is lying or looking for one excuse or the other to give when his sisters or Umma  want me to tag along when visiting someone or when they plan for outing.

“Aunty Amarya we are going for shopping by 4:00pm. There is nothing you will say this time around that will make you stay back, so get ready” I heard Teemah who was standing at the door say.

‘Not again’ I said to myself before smiling at her. “I don’t need anything Aunty Teemah and when I do we will definitely go for shopping. Okay!”

“Aren’t you tired of staying at home or are….”

I held Teemah’s gaze and said “Alright then…. I will go”

“Aww! Indeed I’m lucky today” she said before leaving the room.

I needed to do something before 4:00pm but what on earth will I say to her this time around. That girl is so annoying. I don’t even know how I manage to convince her all this while. Maybe I should just call him and ask for his permission since I will be going with his sisters.

“we will be going out for shopping by…”

“you are not permitted ” he interrupted me even before I said what I wanted to say.

“I’ll be going with your sisters”

“Even if it is with my mom you are not permitted” I heard his bossy voice.

“I’m tired of giving them unnecessary excuses because of your restriction. I’m seriously tired.”

“It is too early for you to be tired and remember you said you will keep on lying till you get what you want. Have you gotten what you wanted?”