CHAPTER 17: THE PROMISE

What are you preparing for us Treasure?" he asked me while walking towards me in the kitchen.

He was standing close to me, rested his head on my shoulder and kiss my neck.

"There is Tuwon rice and beans soup in the food flask, I just want to mix another sobo since those girls finished the one we had left in the fridge."

"Tau sannu da aiki Mata na( Weldon my wife)"

"yauwa (thank you)"

He stayed with me in the kitchen till when I was done. I served the meal as we sat down on the floor in the living room and ate our dinner while watching "The Karate Kid." After we were done eating I took the plate back to the kitchen and washed them before going back to the living room.

I wanted to talk to him about the promise he made before resuming work but my mouth seems to be heavy and I don't even know where to start from but I expected him to talk about it since he made the promise.
I was busy thinking of where to start from when I heard his voice.

"What are you thinking about" he asked me calmly.

"Hmm! I was actually thinking about the promise you made before you resumed work." I told him sincerely since he was the person who promise to take me home himself. I didn't ask him then, I only cried that I was missing home.

Confusion was Written all over his face. From the look on his face I noticed he had forgotten about it so I said "about taking me home"

"oh! That? I didn't forget my promise. I wanted you to recover first before we visit them that was why I didn't talk about it" he said to me as he held my hands and was rubbing it slowly.

"But I've recovered already. I can walk, bath, cook and even eat myself. Like am perfectly fine dear" I said to him and this was the first time am addressing him as dear since after our marriage. I don't call him with all those sweet names or even his name, I just start a conversation with him whenever I notice his attention was with me.

"I know you are doing all that yourself but what am saying is that you have lost weight, I want you to regain your weight back before we go see them."

"am not complaining."

"But I am dear, what will your parents say if they see you like this? They will think am not taking good care of you Treasure." He said again calmly.

" please take me home or just give me permission to go myself. It is already 3 months without me seeing my parents, by Allah I miss them a lot."

"try adding some weight and immediately you do that I will take you home I promise."

"please let me go like this, I will wear big clothes and put on long hijab. We can even go and come back that very day." I say to him with tears running down my chin already.

"You are not going and that is final." He said with his voice a little bit high.

I wasn't expecting him to act that way since he was the one who promise to take me home and am sure he knows the importance of keeping to promise.

Why will he act that way? Did I do anything wrong? How terrible do I look? Those were the questions that was running through my mind while the last question made me look at myself before I remove my hands from his and stood up without uttering a single word.

I walk sluggishly to my bedroom as tears were running down my chin.

Is this how married women suffer in their homes? how can men be this selfish? for the period of three months we've spent together have lost count of how many times we went to their house aside the ones he went alone without me and his sisters come to visit us from time to time. This is the first time am pleading with him to let me visit home but he shameless said no.

When will he learn to make me happy? all he does and think about is how to hurt my feelings. I thought everything will end after our marriage but no here I am facing what I faced right from the first day we met.
Have never miss the mischievous smile on his face whenever he embarrassed me or hurt my feelings. Will that man ever change or is this how we will spend the rest of our lives? I thought.

With different thoughts running through my mind what happened between us back then in school and even after school came back fresh as if it was just happening.

FLASHBACK

The environment was noisy that we wondered what was happening, we quickly went in and saw people standing in front of the notice board.

"Mai ke faruwa ne (what is happening) ?" Swal baby asked
"If you ask me na who I go ask" I answered her question in form of song.

"I just hope is not another assignment or maybe is our score for Mr. Abdullahi's test since that man prefer to place our scores on the notice board than to give us our test script individually" Jam-Jam said.

Ohoo dai! Koma mainene (whatever it is) we will see it when we go close" Mairo said to us as she walk towards the notice board while we follow suit.

"Ya Allah, they just place the list for project supervisors" Jamila said as she was already panicking.

Swalaha Ahmad you are under Mr. Sadiq.
Maryam Isa you are under Mr.Abdullahi.
Suhailat Aminu you are under Mr. Bello.
Jamila Uthman you are under HOD.

Those who were lucky to be under lecturers who don't give their students stress were happy while those who were under wicked lecturers were sad because they were already thinking of how to be printing their works, the challenge they will face before they see their supervisor and so on.

On my own side I was not really happy because my supervisor was a visiting lecturer and we were the first set he will be supervising, nobody knows how he grade his supervisees and how often we will see him.

We spent few minutes in the department before we went back to the hostel since the atmosphere in there was clumsy as everybody was thinking of how things will be.

READ,
SHARE,
VOTE,
COMMENT.

CHU-CHU🖊