Dinner

They all introduced themselves to me and sat down
I sat down in between my mother and Canada.
5 croissants and a chunk of red meat were on my plate.
It looked delicious.
"Thank you," I whispered under my breath. I saw my mother, Canada, and even Russia, give a slight smile.
I started to eat the food on my plate, savoring the chorus of flavors.
"So, um, America, where are you from?" Germany asked.
"Oh, um, do you mean, where was I born and raised, or where I came from?"
"All three, if you don't mind."
I thought about it for a little bit and nodded.
"Well, I was born in North America, in the east. My birth mother died when I was young, and my father wasn't part of the picture, so I was left to fend for myself." Everyone was looking at me with pity in their eyes.
"But then a few years later France and Britain found me and took care of me."
"Well that was sweet of them," Belarus said.
"Yeah."
"Well, how did you end up... here?" Germany questioned.
"Oh, um." I looked down at my plate, then up and glanced at my brother. Maple patted my shoulder.
"I'd rather keep that to myself. Sorry."
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Finland's eyes shooting daggers at me. I gulped and lowered my head.
"That's fine. I understand. Most of us don't have the most wholesome past," he said respectfully.
Everyone sat around in awkward silence. I nibbled at my food.

"I like your eyes. They're pretty," said a gleeful white and red country, whose name I couldn't remember. A slight blush dusted my cheeks. I smiled lightly.
"Thank you...?"
"Poland," they said with a smile.
Russia looked at me and cocked his head. Butterflies filled my stomach.
"Poland is right. They are pretty."
My entire face turned red. I hid my face in my hands. Hoping that my cool fingers would cool the burn in my cheeks.

"Are you okay? Did your pain flare?" Concern laced Belarus's voice.
"I-I'm fine," I said, trying to bury myself in my hands.
Russia chuckled a little and smiled.
His laugh was deep, like a rumble.

He should do that more.

Shut the hell up 13. Not a good time.

Once my face was semi-normal, I continued to eat my food until the plate was empty.
The food was delicious.

"Kaz, would you mind starting the fire?"
"No problem." The blue country went off to get wood for the giant fire pit that they would light up every night.

My brother got stolen away by Ukraine. He seemed to be a nice guy. Definitely Russia's brother. And my mother was cleaning up after supper.
So, I kinda just, alone. Sitting on a large log by the fire. The heat felt good against my sore muscles.

"Hy."
I jumped and looked to my side.
"Oh, hey, Russia."
He sat down beside me.
"How was the food?" he asked and looked at me with interest in his eyes.
"It was the best food I've had in years, thanks."
He smiled at me and looked at the fire. The orange flames rose up to the twinkling sky.
The crackling was soothing.

"How are your wounds? How do you feel?"
"I'm sore, don't get me wrong, but I'll get better. Like I've done many times before," I said. There was a moment of silence.
"What was it like there, at the facility? I'm just curious."

My muscles involuntarily tensed.

Memories of abuse and neglect tore through my mind like a deviating tornado.
A shiver crawled through my body.

I only know one word to describe it.

"Hell."

Russia looked at me and inched towards me, just enough to be close, but not awkward.
"I know that I could never understand what you've been through, but if you need someone to talk to. I'll be there." Russia's gaze softened as he looked down.
Why do I feel so... light?
"Promise?"
He chuckled deep in his throat.
"Promise."

Russia and I just sat there and talked about simple things, like color, animals, food, just light topics that kept my mind off darker things.
We didn't realize that the blaze of fire had died down to a few smoldering coles.
I looked at the orange embers.
"Looks like we should call it a night," I said as I attempted to stand up.
"Hey, why don't I just carry you back. It's fine," Russia suggested.
"I'm fine. Once I stand, I can walk."

Nope.
Can't stand.
I sighed in defeat and lifted my arms out to the bear of a man. Avoiding eye contact at all costs, but I can see his little smirk.
He picked me up if I were his bride. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders to secure myself. A massive blush coated my face.
He held me tighter and started to carry me to my room.

Once in my room, he gently placed me on the bed as if I was the most fragile thing in the world.
I pulled the covers over my body.
"Is there anything else I can do for you, Stars?" He grinned from saying the last word.
At this point, I've given up, he can call me whatever.
"I'm all good." I smiled at him, and he smirked back.
"Do you want someone to stay the night here?"

You~

"I think I'm okay."
He nodded his head and turned around to leave.
I grabbed his hand.
Why did I do that??
He turned back and looked at me.
Uh.
"Thank you for tonight. You really made me feel welcome."
He smiled, and I could see his eyes soften.
"No problem. Hey, maybe tomorrow, you and I can go for a little walk. I can show you around the camp and you can stretch your muscles."
I smiled widely and nodded.
"Sounds good. See you then," he said before giving my hand a tiny squeeze and leaving.

I giggled slightly. I felt weightless.

________

I did it
I wrote fluff.