Chapter 80

The heralds sounded in the rosy-lighted morning. Their ringing tones signaled the end of the old day. I sat on the stone bed waiting for the chamber doors to open again.

Then a golden light split through the darkness as my fair dainty princess entered the temple. She hurried inside with an anxious look upon her features. Her piercing dark eyes widened in profound relief once she saw me. A sheer delight crossed our faces at the same time. I stood and smiled, causing her tears to fall afresh over the rims of those carved lashes.

"Nikita..." Amarisa breathed.

"Your Highness," I greeted her back. She rushed towards me with uncontrollable joy. I opened my arms to welcome her.

"Oh Nikita, Delighter of my soul! I'm utterly glad you're well again!" she cried. "I was so afflicted by the burden of my pains, but seeing you back in all goodness and health, the pains ebbed and had swiftly gone! Thank heavens, now you have truly returned to me!"

She buried her face into my neck and began to sob. I stroked her hair as she tightened her hold around my waist.

"Worry no more, Amarisa," I said and held her back with the same longing. "I'm now cured and all fine. Look, there's no more pain."

Amarisa drew herself away to look at my face. Her sparkling eyes searched for mine. Her hands reached up to touch my cheek gently. She then brushed her delicate fingers over my shoulders and my arms as if seeing me there wasn't convincing enough for her. After a while, she took my once-injured hand and turned it over to inspect the change.

She was astounded by the curing miracle. Amarisa smiled again. She bent over to place her soft lips on my healed palm as though to chase away all the remaining ache.

I watched Amarisa even more closely. She was indeed the ample replica of the Naga princess from last night. The serpent woman had appeared to me like in a dream and also disappeared the same way.

I remembered before she left, the spirit maiden kissed me on the forehead and whispered almost in grief that the life I had been living now was only a fragile bubble in the cosmic stream. Everything was shaped by the Karma of my other lifetimes.

'The one who is your lover in this life might perhaps have been your beloved in the past, but so are those you hate as your karma has woven with theirs,' she had told me grimly. 'Throughout my years of being in this mortal realm, all pleasures that arise in the world are bound to end. They are merely sources of your pains. You must not be attached to them.'

It was hard to understand what she said. Her words were stinging and penetrating with too much omen and despair that I couldn't even grasp her wisdom yet.

If Amarisa was actually the reincarnation of the Naga princess, then someone must be her past lover —someone who was great and noble, and not guilty and pretentious like me.

Amarisa should belong to that person. I was just a vaguest-fated girl, who had fallen from the sky as a token for a sacrifice and therefore unfitted to be her life partner.

I had secretly betrayed her love and trust by taking other lovers. How could I shamelessly claim this pure woman as mine?

Maybe, the Naga maiden had come to me not only to heal but also to sway my heart from Amarisa. Maybe, I wasn't the true match of the dainty princess.

One unsettling thought attracted many more to come. They rolled down like avalanches over me, and I had to herd my mind back from this aimless wandering. Amarisa was still absorbed in my presence and did little notice.

I wiped her tear-stained face and gave a gentle kiss on her cheek, whispering sweet nothing to calm her down.

Then we heard other footsteps entering the chamber. We turned to find some of my avatar friends in the hall. Tusita, Vorac, and Atith were there. They let out a chorus of relieved sighs.