Chapter 48

As I sat there comforting my beloved princess, the sky was suddenly lit with a dance of colors and sparks. Bright bursts of light, shooting across the night.

"Amarisa, look!" I said and pointed to the firework some distance away. The various radiant shades illuminated freely like coral flowers blossoming in the bed of the sea. It was as if the colors of a rainbow had struck the surface of the dark sky. The crowd gasped and cheered at the crackling noises of the flashing sparks, which lanced across the enclosed field like a gentle rain.

I took Amarisa's hand in mine and we stood. I led her to the front of the portico and rolled up the blind then we gazed at the beautiful firework together.

"You have given me the most precious night, Amarisa," I said and turned to look at her again. When I smiled, she returned it almost immediately. The royal maiden came and stroked my cheeks with her hands.

"I'm sorry for causing such a spoiled mood earlier," she said.

"No need to be sorry," I said. "Let us not talk about it. Now give me one more kiss to put my heart at ease."

I pulled her into me again. Our faces were lit by joyous lights.

Yet as our lips were locked in a kiss, I heard a sound below us and opened my eyes. I caught a glimpse of someone hiding behind a wooden pillar. Malis woke from her snoring peace and growled with her animal instinct.

Even with a brief glimpse, I could tell the shadow was a woman. She covered her head with a scarf. The maiden must have known she'd been caught spying and turned to flee. I pulled away from Amarisa, causing her to look at my alarmed face in confusion.

"What's the matter?" she asked and followed my gaze down the portico.

"I saw someone spying on us," I said with a deep frown.

"But Nikita, love, my guards would do their duties if a stranger is near," she said.

"I'm afraid the person is not a stranger," I said as an inkling flowed in my gut. "Just a quick look, Amarisa."

I turned to Malis and said, "Take care of your mistress, will you?"

The tiger gave a low growl. With that said, I wended down the stairs. Surely the maids and guards were still present, but none happened to see the woman. Some of the guards came along with me. I figured they were ordered by Amarisa to keep me safe.

Going through the thick mass of people along the stone path, I caught another sight of the veiled maiden.

"Hey, you!" I yelled and began to run.

She turned back involuntarily and saw me hurling towards her. The maiden then rushed towards the crowd. I turned to the guards.

"We must split path," I said and they nodded. I went after the running spy while the guards went in separate directions. Swiftly, the maiden weaved through a mass of people, heading to the circus where she could mingle and disappear.

"Stop running!" I yelled above the boisterous dancing and singing folks. People stared at me as I stumbled through them. Wild to escape, the woman cut through the sea of crowds and sprinted heedlessly. I followed almost instantly, causing quite a stir among the performers.

The palace guards showed up on the other side of the circus square. She was trapped. Then the woman saw me panting after her and broke through the crowd again. Unaware of where she was going, the damsel in distress tripped and fell. She let out a pained cry. My eyes widened but before I could rush over to her, the woman staggered back to her feet and ran again. I followed suit.