Chapter 90

We emerged from the tunnel again before sunset. The other avatars along with the twins ran towards us.

"You are back! The gods bless you!" Atith cried.

"My bunny!" Tusita said as she and Vorac broke into a run towards each other.

While the girls rejoiced in each other's arms, Atith came to hug me and Tepi. Raksa was about to wrap his arms around us too, but Tepi tripped him with a block of earth. Raksa stumbled and fell. He got up and rubbed his forehead in pain.

"Aw, Tepi love! I thought we were soulmates!" Raksa pouted with a hurt look. "I crave no one but you by my side. Can I not have my arms around you for once?"

I almost forgot what love-sick looked like until I met the Son of Death. It made my heart sink remembering Amarisa.

"Silence!" Tepi hissed. "We have other important things to do."

Issarak and his friends appeared from the tunnel a while later. He was limping, and his injured arm hung from a sling Tepi made from vines.

"What in the Seventh Hell are you doing with these fellows?" Tusita cried with a furious scowl.

All of a sudden, we heard a low growl. Everyone's eyes widened. I looked back to the mouth of the tunnel. They watched the giant lion king looming out of the dark - one of the most powerful mythical creature with the strength of an elephant and lion combined. His enormous body cast shadow over us.

"Well everyone," I said. "Meet Gajasimha, King of the Wild."

Atith screamed.

Morokot had flames flickering on her palms while Raksa pulled out his iron chains.

"Tell the others to get the soldiers to arms immediately!" Raksa cried.

"Whoa! No...Everyone, calm down!" I cried and stepped before them and the gigantic mammal. "He's not a threat! Well...at least, not to us."

I briefly told the other avatars how we got the lion king and how we met our opponents. After a while, my friends seemed to relax and then began skirting around the mighty beast. All of them couldn't take their eyes off the exotic animal, admiring the king from head to tail.

"What is that?" Tusita asked, pointing to Gajasimha's back.

Curried upon the mount was the twenty-six sleeping avatars of the storm gods. The limbs entangled each other inside a vine-net that Tepi had woven to carry them like some caught fish.

"Oh, we forgot. One of Vijay's duplicates ate a poison fruit," Vorac said with an eye roll. "See if the twins can do anything to wake them."

Tepi waved her hand and the vines untied themselves. The sleeping bodies rolled into a pile on the ground. Some of them groaned while the other hardly made a stir.

The twin brothers looked at each other and shrugged at the same time. One of them, whom I assumed was Romanir, took a vile out of his cloth bag and came forward.

"Which one is the real Vijay?" he asked us. Vorac who had battled against the avatar before knew exactly which one. She pointed to the one faced down on the ground.

The twins went to him and rolled the avatar onto his back. Then they waved the remedy under his nose. A moment passed, Vijay's eyes peeled open and grunted.

"You all should leave that idiot to his death-like sleep!" Issarak growled. "It was me who needs medical care!"

"Sorry, Issarak, we don't have a cure for your arrogance," one of the twins replied.